Saturday, October 8, 2011

Theme: Done with Fear

No Fear

Fear is a concept that has negative connotations no matter how you look at it. As a person who is constantly trying to strive for the "meat and potatoes" in my spiritual walk, it is hard to find any optimism in regards to fear. As living and breathing human beings we constantly try to avoid the feeling of fear, and rightfully so. For me personally, when I am afraid or fear something it really puts a strain on my ability to be the person I need to be because it attacks the mind, just like a terminal disease does the body. Sometimes (and I know I have experienced this) we are so concentrated on trying to avoid fear that we wind up putting ourselves right back in the midst of it.  The definition of fear is “a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid.”

When we were choosing from this round of  “Word For Today” topics and as I browsed through them to pick which one I wanted to take a run with, my first thought was to take the easy route and do a “Freelance” article. Instead I thought to myself,  "You know, human nature is to take the easy way out, and from a personal standpoint, this would do me no good because I  need to be stretched and broken in regards to my faith and how my priorities align with God’s priorities." So I decided to do myself  up right and share my perspective on fear. Let me tell you, this is a tough concept to digest, which explains to a certain extent why I migrate to the last day to submit my article.

If you will remember (and most will, a few years back) there was a clothing line that was released with the Phrase “NO FEAR” plastered all over t-shirts and other apparel. I must say, I was a consumer of a few of these products. When this line of clothing came out, I thought it was pretty neat; the designs and concepts were appealing to a young boy like myself.  When I wore the t-shirts that had “No Fear” on them I actually felt “No Fear,” and, quite honestly, it fed my ego a little because I looked at it from the standpoint that others would perceive me as having “NO FEAR.” When I look back I have to ask myself,  "Do I really have “NO FEAR?” To be honest, it does not matter what the clothing portrayed. I still have a since of Fear. So, the real question remains: Why? How, if I claim to be Christian, could I fear anything? Not that easy, believe me, I know.  1 Peter 3: 13-15 says: "Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear their threats; do not be frightened.” But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." This verse is why it is not easy. It seems easy and self-explanatory, and to be brutally honest, it is. But the part that messes it all up is the fact of how I use this verse in daily meat and potato living. When I read these 3 short verses life experiences start flashing like “Red Lights.” It puts in perspective and explains why I have struggled with some of the things I have and makes me feel a little dirty because I have done some “Pharisee living.” You know, I was enlightened by an individual just last night of the very fact that we can read our scriptures and take from them what our individual being will allow us to, but what drops us to our knees is when we are really using them. I can tell you that if I use 1 Peter 3:13-15 I would have “NO FEAR” just as the clothing line suggests.

God, thank you for your forgiveness. Thank you for giving us Hope. God, help us to use 1 Peter 3:13-15. Your word makes it easy for us if we just use it in our daily walk with you. Thank you for Jesus because through him we do have “NO FEAR” and we are saved. We love you. AMEN!!!!

Landon Kribbs
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment