Monday, October 10, 2011

Staying on Track

And God said:


... and then there was light!

Is it important that we know everything about God’s Creation?  If it were imperative that we know all of the details, they would have been provided in God’s Word.  I don’t sweat the unknown variables. My daughter went to a women’s Bible study group recently. The ladies were discussing the Creation.  The teacher was adamant that God created the world in six 24 hour long days and rested on the seventh day.  There were no dinosaurs, and the world is approximately 10,000 years old.  That certainly may be the case, but there is a surfeit of evidence that dinosaurs roamed Somervell County, Texas, including bones and tracks preserved in rock.  We have all picked up fossil rocks of sea creatures that lived long ago.  Scientists believe those fossils may be much older than 10,000 years, maybe millions of years old.  I believe that God has created everything and did so purposefully. I don’t believe it is impossible He achieved such a grand project in 144 hours; I just think time is relative, especially to God. 2 Peter 3:8 says “But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.  I don’t believe it is important to my salvation that I know which method of Creation God used.

Another issue was raised in my Bible class this morning. Adam’s son Cain left the area after he killed Abel, had children with his wife, and built a city he named after his son Enoch.  Where did Cain’s wife come from?  Why build a city unless there are other people to live in it?  Why would Cain be afraid other people would kill him for his actions toward his brother?  Most people in the class believe that Cain and Seth married their sisters.  Genesis 3:20 says “Adam named his wife Eve, because she would become the mother of all the living.”  Mother of all the living may mean Eve was the first and only woman directly created by God.  It may also mean she was the first of all of the women created by God.  Adam may be the first of all of the men created by God or he may be the only man directly created by God.  The history of the world outlined in Genesis describes my God as omniscient, wonderful, powerful and forgiving. Genesis also represents the beginning of the line of ancestors leading directly to Jesus, God’s own son.  Jesus, God’s son who redeemed us, is the factor of the creation story that is important to my salvation.  I cling to that as unquestionable truth.

Dear God, Help me to be ready to study your word, and share your love and grace with those around me.

Sherilyn Svien
Stephenville,TX

2 comments:

  1. We limit our God to a small box framed by our human limitations and biases. What wonderful statements of faith and openness to the wonders of God's power and imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I had thought of these words recently when I was in a discussion with some non-believers whom I love. Thanks for your words and your example, Sherilyn.

    ReplyDelete