Monday, October 3, 2011

Theme: Done with Fear

WORLD: Zero  
CHRIST: WON!


I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world.  John 16:33 (NIV)
Have you ever observed a scene so profoundly moving your heart could hardly stand it?  That’s how I feel when I read John chapters 14 through 17.  Jesus’ death is imminent and he’s bidding farewell to his disciples.  

His words are full of comfort and encouragement; longing and warning.   He tells them how to live, and how to love.  He tells them – again – Who he is, Whose he is, and why it’s important they understand that.  He had kept them from harm until now, but he’s entrusting them with a message and knows they’ll be killed for delivering it.

The air is palpable with urgency as he says, “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear” (John 16:12).  

He reassures them.  “Do not let your hearts be troubled…Because I live you also will live…My peace I leave with you…my peace I give you…do not be afraid…no one will take away your joy…I have overcome the world.”

In other words, life is one painful battle after another.  Have no fear.  The war is over and Christ already won it for us.

John 17:1 says, “After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed.”  Imagine overhearing the Savior of the world praying!  For himself, for his disciples…and for us!

Read John 17:20-26 to find out what Jesus prayed for on our behalf.  Here’s a hint:  “I have given them the glory that you gave me that they may be one as we are one” (v. 22).                 

Heavenly Father, because Christ obeyed you to the death, we have no need to fear life.  Neither do we as believers need to fear each other.  Help us work together in unity so the world will see You.  Through Christ, amen.    

Sandra Milholland
Abilene, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment