Saturday, January 5, 2013

Stinking Thinking

There is a lot of bad stuff going on now in the world. The economy is crashing; violence is everywhere; bad news at every turn. Then I read Paul’s instructions to the Philippians. “Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” Phil. 4:8

Controlling my thoughts! Can it be? I have been afflicted with “stinking thinking” for so long! To make a list of bad stuff and say I’m not going to think about this doesn’t work. That would be like saying I’m not going to think about pink elephants. So I put a thought that looks like a pink elephant in my mind.

So, how do I do it? Paul says ‘deliberately think about things that are true; things that are honorable; things that are just; things that are pure; things that are lovely. You fill your mind on purpose with beautiful, lovely truths and you crowd out the trash.

Isn’t this an exciting idea? To be in control of our mind? Eventually, when ‘stinking thinking’ comes to see you, your mind has a NO VACANCY sign out.   

Dear Heavenly Father, You know everything. You know more about me than I know. You know every thought I have. I know many are a disappointment to you. You see the mean thoughts, the selfish thoughts, the nasty thoughts and the fearful thoughts. I am ashamed they are there and more ashamed I welcomed them and made them at home. “Create in me a clean heart, O God”. And help me as I replace them with lovely truths. Help me find honorable things to think about. Forgive me for harboring evil and fill me with your truth. I want to be clean. I am so weary of being afraid. Help me.
In the name of Your Son, I pray.

Paul Shero
San Angelo, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment