Monday, January 7, 2013

God Reveals His Name


God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.  This is what you are to say to the Israelites:  I AM has sent me to you.”  Exodus 3:14

When I counseled juveniles at the detention center I liked to tell them what their names meant and how the meaning sounds in real life.  For example, “Poetic One, it’s time for supper!” or, “Be home by curfew, God’s Gracious Gift.”  “Call me when you get there, Merry One,” or “You did a great job with your chores, Helper of Man.”

Names meant everything in ancient times.   When God told Moses to go back to Egypt and free the Israelites from slavery, Moses didn’t want to.  He argued with God about it like God’s people have done since time began.  “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’  Then what shall I tell them?”

“God said to Moses, ‘I AM WHO I AM.  This is what you are to say to the Israelites:  I AM has sent me to you…the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation.’” (Exodus 3:13-15).

I read Daniel’s prayer in Chapter 9 of Daniel and jotted in the margin some descriptions of how I AM relates to His wicked, rebellious children.  He is described as great and awesome; faithful to keep His promises; righteous in everything, merciful, forgiving, and omnipotent.  He disciplines lovingly, but that doesn’t mean we’ll necessarily enjoy His discipline at the time.  He puts us where He wants us to be for our good and for His ultimate glory.  God made a name for himself by freeing his people from captivity which means He also has the power to free us from our self-inflicted bondage.

Lord, we don’t make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy.  O Lord, listen.  O Lord, forgive!  O Lord, hear and act!  For your sake, O my God, do not delay, because your city and your people bear your Name.”  (Daniel 9:18b & 19). 

Sandra Milholland
Abilene, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment