Thursday, January 3, 2013

What a Dream


Though I have been out of school for over 30 years there is a dream that periodically shows up in my subconscious.  The exact story that plays out is different each time yet the theme is the same.

A new school session has begun, but I have already missed classes.  I can’t find my class schedule and don’t know what time or where my classes meet.  Homework has been assigned in the classes I have already missed and I haven’t completed any of it.  I am un-prepared.  I will look bad, be in trouble, and receive a failing grade when I do show up.  When I wake up enough to recognize it is a dream I am greatly relieved.  Perhaps this dream is a deep revelation of great insecurity, of not measuring up, of being exposed as a sham, or not passing the test in other walks of my life.  I don’t know.  As I reflect on this “silly dream” and listen I am led to some amazing statements.  
4 When people work, their pay is not given as a gift, but as something earned. 5 But people cannot do any work that will make them right with God. So they must trust in him, who makes even evil people right in his sight. Then God accepts their faith, and that makes them right with him. 6 David said the same thing. He said that people are truly blessed when God, without paying attention to their deeds, makes people right with himself.
7 “Blessed are they
    whose sins are forgiven,
    whose wrongs are pardoned.
8 Blessed is the person
    whom the Lord does not consider guilty.”

Romans 4:4-8

Two statements are very revealing.  
who makes even evil people right in His sight
and
without paying attention to their deeds

Read and understood in their context the message is clear our Sovereign God forgives, pardons, and saves us when we trust Him, period!  It has nothing to do with what we do, how good, or how bad we are.  In fact, God’s salvation is given when we are evil and ungodly.  Further, even our good deeds have no bearing on the gift.  It isn’t that He doesn’t care and isn’t pleased by our acts, but that there is no question our salvation is from Him and Him alone.  Our goodness and deeds don’t help and aren’t necessary.  His love and grace take care of everything.

That is hard for me to accept.  My human will is constantly at work driving me to meet the standards set by the world, yet I will never be able to achieve those standards.  God has given me a way out of this angst and all I have to do is wake up and accept it.  What a relief.  

Lord I submit my will to your salvation and accept the free gift you give through Christ Jesus.  Thank you for a love I cannot fathom and for rescuing me when I don’t deserve it.

Scotty Elston
Shallowater
, Texas

1 comment: