Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Peace: When Peace Like A River

Standing near the aspen trees, I could see the sun shinning on the brilliant yellow leaves shimmering in the cool breeze. I could hear the clear cold water rushing in the river beside me as it flowed from the snow covered peaks above to the red and yellow flower blanketed meadow spread out below. High overhead, an eagle was soaring with her wings spread out to catch the gentle breeze. As I listened, I could hear the many sounds of nature, the shrieks of the eagle, the rustling of the aspen leaves and the bubbling of the water as it made its way downward over the pebbles and rocks.

I found myself relaxed and peaceful, a peacefulness that extended to the bottom of my soul. Even though the water was a rushing stream, the words of the Psalmist in chapter 42 ran through my mind and heart as I looked and listened to what God had placed around me:

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.


The reality is that we do not always find the peace we seek from what is around us; there is a peace that transcends a beautiful mountain, the forest, the ocean, the desert sunset, a peace that takes us away from the cacophony and confusion where we most often find ourselves. The peace we should be seeking is not to be found in this world. Jesus said: “A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me. I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:32-33)

In 1873, Horatio Spafford penned the words to “When Peace Like A River.” Spafford’s ship was passing near the spot where his four daughters had died in a ship wreck as they were crossing the Atlantic. Just a few weeks earlier, his wife, who survived the wreck, had sent him the now famous telegram, “Saved alone.” Spafford’s great family loss came on the heels of a tremendous financial loss in the great Chicago Fire of October, 1871. His peace was not to be found on this earth.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way, When sorrows like sea billows roll; Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say, It is well, it is well, with my soul.

First Refrain
It is well, with my soul, It is well, with my soul, It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Last Refrain
And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight, The clouds be rolled back as a scroll; The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend, Even so, it is well with my soul.

Like Spafford, our real peace is not to be found in what this fleeting world has to offer. Our peace lies in what the God had prepared for us through our Lord Jesus.

Lord, help us seek that which is truly the peace that passes all understanding, the peace that comes by placing our life, faith, hope and trust in you.

Paul Schulze, Phd.
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment