Friday, December 3, 2010

Peace, Perfect Peace

These words come from a well known hymn:

“Peace, perfect peace, in this dark world of sin? The blood of Jesus whispers peace within.

Peace, Perfect peace, by thronging duties pressed? To do the will of Jesus, this is rest.

Peace, perfect peace, with sorrows surging ‘round? On Jesus’ bosom naught but calm is found.”

The book of Philippians is a letter Paul wrote from prison in Rome to some very dear friends in Philippi as a response to their generosity for his support. Throughout this personal letter we see the theme of rejoicing. In this life we can rejoice because God loves us, sent his Son to die for us, and gives us everything we need. If we die, we can rejoice because we will be with Christ forever. We are citizens of heaven (3:20) and should live with that thought constantly before us. Our passion for knowing Christ is the secret of a joyful Christian life.

Joy is not based on circumstances, but in the confidence that comes from a relationship with Jesus Christ. I, like many of you, have been able to identify with Paul while going through life-changing experiences. It has been during some of my darkest hours that Paul’s words have become relevant to me, personally.

I remember vividly, as if it were yesterday, waking up in the recovery room of a Fort Worth hospital. I felt the cold plasma running through my veins as I learned that the tumor had been removed and that it was malignant. It was during the moments that followed that I prayed confidently for God’s will to be done. I remember praying that whether I lived or died was up to Him. I believed and trusted that He had a purpose for my life either way, through life or death. It was at this time that I knew without a doubt, “the peace that passes all understanding”. Twenty-five years later, I continue to be at peace with the realization that my life is in the hands of a loving Father. I continue to believe that I am here to serve a purpose and to develop my potential. I believe His Spirit will guide me as I prayerfully and diligently seek His will for my life.

I treasure these words from the apostle Paul:

“Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice! Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon. Don’t worry about anything; instead pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” (4:4-7)

“Father, we are thankful to be citizens of heaven. We praise You for giving us Your Word to light the way and for our Guide, Jesus Christ, who has gone before us to show the way. We pray for strength and courage to follow in His steps. Forgive us, Father, when we stumble and fall. Thank you for lifting us up and for never giving up on us. Through your Son, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, we pray. Amen.”

Jan Alderfer

Stephenville, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment