Saturday, August 24, 2013

Luxury or Necessity?

I wanted to see what was worthwhile for men to do under heaven during the few days of their lives.  I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards.  I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them… I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces… I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure.  My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labor.  Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.
Ecclesiastes 2:3b-5,8a,10,11


A newspaper columnist, in a recent article, lamented the poor money management skills exhibited by many American’s.  The editorial states, “(Americans) Living paycheck to paycheck, spending money as fast as one can make it, is becoming the new norm.”  He contrasts this claim by remembering that Americans formerly planned their household budgets to include sharing with others, insurance safeguards, and preparing for retirement.  Saving money was commonplace.  The shift in thinking is illustrated by a recent NFL draftee becoming an overnight millionaire.  The new norm for individuals in this situation might be to immediately go buy an expensive, fancy new vehicle.  However, this particular NFL rookie has chosen to save his money.  He still drives a borrowed Honda minivan.  Needless to say, he has been the recipient of teasing (ridicule) by his new teammates.  His thriftiness stands out, in their eyes, as odd and curious behavior.

I, too, was made aware of American’s expectations of luxury while traveling internationally.  Yes, there are differences in culture and practices from one country to the next.  However, I was struck by the number of things I considered “necessities” in America, but non-Americans functioned just fine without them.  I suppose human nature causes us to believe that our personal experiences and practices are normal and, therefore, expected in all places at all times.  This narrow sense of entitlement is a just form of selfishness and greed.  We like living happy and satisfied.  Problems arise when my happiness is reliant upon satisfying these selfish expectations.

Children of God must realize the meaninglessness of trying to satisfy selfish desires.  God is pleased with a humble attitude and obedient behavior.  The spiritual man is willing to rethink what is necessary in his life and is willing to change his expectations.  The mature disciple of Christ will have a sacrificial perspective on life.  He will be content with what he has and is able to boldly say “no” to the devil’s schemes.  According to Solomon, nothing is gained by accumulating wealth and luxury.  Rethink your expectations and trust God to provide what is necessary.  

Prayer
Dear Heavenly Father, please forgive our selfish desires to obtain happiness through wealth and accomplishments.  We need to trust you to take care of our needs.  Help us to seek righteousness and develop a mature faith.  In the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, Amen.

Carl Smith
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment