Monday, August 26, 2013

Drifting

In the book of Hebrews, chapter two, God tells us:
"We  must pay more careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away. For if the message spoken by angels was binding, and every violation and disobedience received its just punishment, how shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation?"

Here we are warned of the danger of neglect.  The idea is not that we decide we don't believe anymore.  Or that we deliberately decide to turn back to the world.  As a matter of fact, we don't think at all.
   
We get distracted; we think of other things. Our faith moves further and further to the back of our minds. Since we are thinking of other things and looking at other things, our mission gets foggy and our goals get uncertain.
   
The scripture uses the term, "drift." If a boat is not anchored, it moves with the current or wind . . . it drifts. Even when we are rowing or motoring, we must keep our eye on our goal since other forces such as the current or the wind are at work and will cause us to miss our mark.
   
The scripture teaches us we can unknowingly be lost when we do not pay attention. Since these forces are always influencing us, we must stay focused. The fact that we do not usually think about this or worry about this proves how dangerous drifting is.  We don't even see it happening until, unfortunately, we are a long way from where we know we should be.

Dear Lord,
I praise your name. You are the same yesterday, today and forever. 
I, however, am not. I am all over the place. I want to live by faith, but I am easily distracted and find myself astray. Please forgive me.  Help me to stay focused.
Help me run my race looking to Jesus.  Looking like your son, who was always on point.  Jesus . . .  the way, the truth, and the life.
It is in His name I pray.     Amen

Paul Shero

San Angelo, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment