Friday, August 23, 2013

The Thief

 There were also two criminals led out with Jesus to be put to death. When they came to a place called the Skull, the soldiers crucified Jesus and the criminals—one on his right and the other on his left. Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, because they don’t know what they are doing.”The soldiers threw lots to decide who would get his clothes. One of the criminals on a cross began to shout insults at Jesus: “Aren’t you the Christ? Then save yourself and us.” But the other criminal stopped him and said, “You should fear God! You are getting the same punishment he is. We are punished justly, getting what  we deserve for what we did. But this man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” Jesus said to him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”
Luke 23:32-34, 39-43

As Jesus hangs on the cross between the two criminals this exchange between these three men is recorded for us.   What insights are here?  Why is this story preserved?  I can't help but think an intended view is to see myself as one of the  criminals on the cross. I have no defense. I am guilty. I am being punished for what I deserve.  It is too late and there is no hope for a reprieve.  The sentence is passed and I am condemned to death.  It is finished
for me.

It is from this position on the cross,  condemned to death that I must see myself to grasp what Jesus has really done, understanding He is hanging beside me sufferring for me.   It is from this place, hanging on the cross guilty and without excuse that I must see myself to hear the prayer Jesus prayed for me: "Father forgive him, because he doesn't know what he is doing".  It is from this perspective of utter despair on the cross that I must see myself to hear Jesus speak the words "Today you will be with me in paradise" and realize He has just saved me.

I want to meet the thief in heaven and hear him tell the rest of this story.   I want to hear how he felt when Jesus spoke those words, how it changed the suffering he endured, how it felt to take the first steps in heaven with Jesus beside him, and what it was like when Jesus introduced him to His heavenly Father.   I bet he tells it every day for eternity, each time with disbelief that Jesus would do such a thing for a condemned thief.  Can you imagine such mercy?    Mercy received like this changes you to think and act in a whole new way.

Father your mercy is beyond my comprehension.  Thank you for rescuing me from certain death.   Through Christ my Lord.

Scotty Elston
Shallowater
, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment