Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I am a Christian


I recently received an email forward that I actually thought was worth my time to read.  Most of the time, I skim through them and delete without reading it fully.  But, this email in particular really made me stop and consider how I consider myself and the descriptor I use as “Christian”. 

I am guilty of calling myself a “Christian” as if it were a badge I wear on my jacket and an item on my resume.  It becomes an involuntary thought somehow twisted into a qualification for something.

Here’s the email:

When I say that ‘I am a Christian’, I am not shouting that ‘I am clean living’.
I’m whispering ‘I was lost, but now I’m found and forgiven’.

When I say ‘I am a Christian’, I don’t speak of this with pride. 
I’m confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say ‘I am a Christian’, I’m not trying to be strong.  
I’m professing that I’m weak and need HIS strength to carry on.

When I say ‘I am a Christian’, I’m not bragging of success.
I’m admitting I have failed and need God to clean up my mess.

When I say ‘I am a Christian’, I’m not claiming to be perfect.
My flaws are far too visible, but God believes I’m worth it.

When I say ‘I am a Christian’, I still feel the sting of pain.
I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon HIS name.

When I say ‘I am a Christian’, I’m not holier than thou.
I’m just a simple sinner who received God’s grace.

Being a follower of Christ certainly gives us a confidence in knowing our debt has been paid in full at the cross and that God’s love for us is so deep and unconditional.  However, this confidence should not lend itself to arrogance.  It should actually be the inverse.  I should recall the words above and strive to help others recognize the grace God gives us so freely is liberating but also humbling.

In today’s society, we expect each other to be perfect, without fault and blemish.  Reality Check please! …..  Holding each other accountable is important, but we are creatures of the flesh and full of imperfections.  Recognizing my own flaws might limit me in identifying other people’s flaws.  I am an imperfect individual that is weak and more than capable of creating more ‘mess’ than I know what to do with.  I am so incredibly thankful for my Father who has generously covered me with His grace and allowed me to draw near to him.  He fixes all of my issues or at least gives me the strength to endure them. 

Isaiah 41: 9-10
9 I took you from the ends of the earth,
from its farthest corners I called you.
I said, ‘You are my servant’;
I have chosen you and have not rejected you.
10 So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Father,
Please forgive me of considering myself as a Christian as if it’s a title I earned.  Help me to humbly embrace your love and grace in all of my weaknesses.  I ask Lord, that you help remind me of what is means to be a Christ – follower in all of my thoughts, words and actions.  Thank you for your unending grace.  In Jesus name, Amen.

Michelle Tittor
Grapevine, Tx

No comments:

Post a Comment