Saturday, November 17, 2012

How Do Your Words Taste?


Let your conversation be always full of grace,
Seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
Colossians 4:6

Misunderstood.  Hurtful.  Uncaring.  Those aren’t the emotional reactions I expected.  I intended to provide explanation or comfort or concern.  Yet, my words have far too often caused unintended pain.  I have spent a lifetime witnessing the distress inflicted on others as a result of this weakness of mine.  Poorly selected words have produced less than positive results.  More accurately, the problem hasn’t been my word choices, but my tone of voice.  Maybe I need a little seasoning to make my words taste better.
 
Paul writes an exhortation to the Colossian Christians, and to us, to be prepared… looking for any opportunity God may provide to share the Good News.  In today’s vernacular, we need to bring our “A” game every time we speak to nonbelievers.  We never know when the occasion will be available again.

Conversations full of grace and seasoned with salt are loving and hopeful, gentle and kind.  Seasoned words are appropriate, useful and well received.  Grace-filled, seasoned words are well thought out and clear.  May we all know how to answer everyone with gentle, appetizing words.

Prayer
Dear Heavenly Father, please have patience with me as I learn to speak in loving ways.  I want my conversations to be full of grace.  Please season my words so that they are well received by everyone.  Thank you for your merciful kindness toward me.  In the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, Amen.

Carl Smith
Stephenville, Texas 

No comments:

Post a Comment