Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Rush

It seems I am always rushing to get projects completed; at work, at home, for family or friends, for Church. I even have a new exercise video entitled “Rush” because it is an abbreviated version that may be squeezed between other projects.

I took some time for myself this weekend to go to the Women of Faith conference in Dallas. I persuaded two young women from my office to accompany me to the conference. I am an accountant and am accustomed to deadlines; we had the corporate tax return deadline last week, and the individual deadline, October 15, looms ahead.  In addition, there are many other tax, auditing and accounting deadlines to deal with. I decided three accounting professionals could benefit from some “Me time”.  I wished to beat “Rush” hour in Dallas so we left a little earlier than required. We arrived in good time and only came to a standstill on the highway at the last couple of miles of the trip. There was a little extra time to spend before the conference began, so we walked across the street to the Dallas World Aquarium, to pass the time. We had no huge expectations, but were very pleased with the experience.  I was expecting fish, but enjoyed so much more.  There were strange and beautiful fish, exotic birds, reptiles and amphibians, deep sea creatures, tropical plants, a jaguar, manatees, sea otters, and the epitome of slow sloths. I am not suggesting we should be sloths, but these sloths seemed to really enjoy posing for their visitors’ photos as they hung out on their vines.

We enjoyed watching the sloths move in very, very slow motion, we fed the baby cockatoo birds, and let the chameleon climb our arms (note the look of concern as he got closer to my face). We “meandered” through the exhibits and enjoyed the respite from our hectic, rushed, normal schedules.

The Women of Faith Conference was uplifting, encouraging, and another deviation from our rushed lives. I highly recommend taking a break periodically from the rush, rush, rush we are accustomed to.


King David agrees with my position and says this in Psalms 39:5-7
5 You have made my days a mere handbreadth;
the span of my years is as nothing before you.
Everyone is but a breath,
even those who seem secure.            SELAH
6 “Surely everyone goes around like a mere phantom;
in vain they rush about, heaping up wealth
without knowing whose it will finally be.
7 “But now, Lord, what do I look for?
My hope is in you.

Note the word “SELAH” after verse 5.  The Women of Faith conference had as guests the Christian musical band Selah. The concert they performed was encouraging and uplifting. The band’s name comes from the Hebrew word above used often in the Psalms.  The meaning of the Hebrew word is not exactly clear but is believed to mean “Pause, take a break, and think”.

Dear God:  Thank you for the renewing break I enjoyed this weekend. Help me to use my renewed resources to your glory.

Sherilyn Svien
Stephenville
, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment