Saturday, September 29, 2012

Keep Your Eyes On The Road

 Normally, I am relaxed while driving.  Only one hand may be holding the steering wheel.  I carry on conversations with my passengers, while traveling at the speed limit.  Clear weather conditions allow me to trust I will have plenty of warning to avoid obstacles.  Under these circumstances it is a good possibility I will have forgotten to seek the Lord’s protection. 

As the sun sets, my driving becomes more focused.  Glare from the setting sun necessitates a two-handed grip on the wheel.  Slightly reducing my speed would be prudent, as well as more frequently scanning the road for potential hazards. 

However, when the weather is bad, especially at night, my senses are “on alert”.  I must avoid danger.  Traction can be slippery.  Visibility can be blinded.  On these occasions I earnestly pray to the Lord, “Please protect us and keep us safe.”
In my spiritual life, I am tempted to become relaxed and even complacent; deceiving myself that my strength and ability is sufficient to navigate this journey safely.  Paul warns me to think otherwise.  There is danger ahead. 

Pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.  With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.  Ephesians 6:18 

Paul encourages all disciples of Christ to pray to the Lord on all occasions.  Our senses should be heightened since we are in the middle of a spiritual battle with the devil (Ephesians 6:10-17).  The armor of God provides the strength and protection from the devil’s attacks.  The warning to “be alert” means we should be awake and attentive; watchful.  We can’t be distracted.  Nor can we become so content in our self-sufficiency that we fall asleep in our faith. 

We can defeat the devil’s schemes!  Prepare yourselves for battle.  The Lord is the one providing the strength and power.  Be alert and keep your eyes on the road.  

Dear Father, please give me the strength to be watchful for the devil’s schemes.  Thank you for your promise to protect me from the evil one.  The victory is in Jesus.  Amen. 

Carl Smith
Stephenville, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment