Tuesday, April 17, 2012

OBEY

When Paul writes his love letter to Philippi, he shows us in chapter two, the mind of Christ in us. How he humbled himself and was obedient even unto death. We remember Christ’s prayer in the garden. “Nevertheless, not as I will but as thou wilt.” In verse 12, he says, “…as you have always obeyed...” Obey like Paul was standing right beside us. Obey!  He said those strange words that can so easily be misunderstood. “Work out your own salvation.”  He is not saying ‘do whatever you want’, he is saying OBEY!.

I get to play a part in my salvation. Of course, God does all the heavy lifting…the cross, the tomb, the resurrection, the Ascension, the Bible. Without God and His grace, there is no salvation.

So, what is my part? Am I a random recipient of salvation?  No, I am involved. “I work out my own salvation.”  How?  I OBEY!   I obey when it’s easy and when it’s hard.  I obey when I’m with others and when I’m alone.  I obey with fear and trembling. This is a life and death matter. Serious business!

God is at work in me. Amazing!  God is at work in me to will and to work for His good pleasure.  I am the canvas where He is painting His masterpiece.  So I must stop arguing and OBEY.

Holy Father, I come praising Your name for Your great might.  I come praising You for Your great grace.  I pray Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. I pray that Your will be done but often I live as though I want my will to be done.  For this, I am sorry. Please forgive me of my sin. Help me Father.  Do what you will to help me obey.  You are right and good. I am lost without You.  So I pray not my will but Yours be done. In the name of Your Son, who always obeyed, I pray. Amen.

Paul Shero
San Angelo, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment