Friday, December 23, 2011

Sacrifices to God

My life is comfortable.  I reside in a warm, loving home.  I receive a consistent paycheck from a reliable employer.  I live in a city that seeks to continually grow and improve, yet is long-known for its supportive, community spirit.  I am a citizen of a country founded on freedom and personal happiness.  Surrounded by all these comforts, it is eternally important for me to offer sacrifices to my God.  If I want to be a follower of Jesus, I must deny myself and sacrifice daily (Luke 9:23).
 
Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God – this is your spiritual act of worship.  Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will.  Romans 12:1-2

Living sacrificially is a testament about my priorities.  If I am to love the Lord God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength, I must submit to his will and seek to please him.  I must sacrifice my will for his will.  Additionally, living sacrificially causes me to submit to others out of reverence for Christ (Ephesians 5:21).

Living sacrificially can be accomplished in numerous, concrete ways.  For example: dedicating my time and energy to help someone in need, sharing my wealth and resources to benefit those less fortunate, and giving up my comfort or safety to fulfill a commitment.  Sacrificial living can take many forms but it must be done sincerely and wholeheartedly in order to be acceptable and pleasing to God (see Philippians 4:18; 1 Peter 2:5).  Being a living sacrifice may cost popularity or friendships.  Leisure time or treasured habits may need to be given up.  Future plans may need to be adjusted.  In other words, I may need to get out of my comfort zone.

Living sacrificially will transform thinking and reinforce faith.  The sacrificial lifestyle is an eternal investment, with a heaven reward.  Sacrificial living affirms that nothing will come between me and my God.  Sacrifices to God keep me from using my God-given wealth selfishly.  I want to be a fragrant offering.

Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise – the fruit of lips that confess his name.  And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.  Hebrews 13:15-16

Prayer:  Dear Father, I want to be pleasing to you.  Please help me to overcome my tendencies toward self-reliance.  Remind me this world is only temporary.  I offer my life as a living sacrifice and look forward to my heavenly home.  In the name of Jesus, amen.

Carl Smith
Stephenville, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment