Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Hope That Anchors

Can you feel the buzz? It’s in the air! Everywhere you go people are fluttering around with happy chatter as they go through their endless list of preparations for the happiest time of the year. I have to admit, I do love Christmas time and I do possibly go overboard when it comes to decorating or, as I like to refer to it, “getting in the spirit.” One of my favorite “getting in the spirit” times is to grab some coffee and perch in front of the Christmas tree and just stare at all those twinkling lights and intricate ornaments that I have so many sweet memories attached to. I love to reminisce about childhood Christmases,  memories of Christmas with grandparents, and fond memories of my daddy.  He was an incredible man of faith who not only talked the talk, but walked the walk! One of my greatest regrets is that my children never had the opportunity to meet him and receive his love and strong Christian influence. But, my precious mother, who overflows with love and has a huge heart of a servant, has always been a strong witness to them along with others, including my brother, who just so happened to start a little website called Word For Today that now reaches thousands of people worldwide.  Thank you for that ministry and opportunity, Randy…you’ve done an outstanding job!

One of my favorite ornaments is a wooden anchor that a precious friend gave to me.  It reads Hebrews 6:19-20: “We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.  It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, where Jesus who went before us, has entered on our behalf.  He has become a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek."  As I gaze upon the beauty of the tree, I can’t help but fix my eyes upon Jesus, our high priest, who provides hope and strength to press on.  It is His work on the cross that has atoned for our sins and provided access to God.  He is living today in the presence of God, where He intercedes in prayer for our well-being.  This is the hope that will anchor your life.

I love Matthew 27:50-51, “Jesus tore down the curtain that veiled it by offering the sacrifice of Himself that satisfied God’s penalty for His people’s sins."  The power of the greatest gift ever given is incomprehensible.  By becoming our righteousness, Jesus has been able to make peace between sinful people and a holy God.  “Therefore He is able to save completely those who come to God through Him, because He always lives to intercede for them” (Hebrews 7:25).

When we know God and have a relationship with Him, His good and pure laws or commands are put inside us by His spirit, so that  His desires begin to be ours.  Are you experiencing the greatest satisfaction and peace that a human being can experience?

Heavenly Father – thank you for Christmas and the special joys of the season.  Help us to anchor our trust in Jesus Christ so that we might experience the amazing joy of daily drawing near to you, Father.  Praise to our Priest and King forever, Jesus Christ!
In His glorious name we pray. AMEN.

Carla Henson
Tuscola, Texas

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful message Carla...thanks for sharing and a Amen to a thank you to Randy!

    ReplyDelete