Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Wrestling

One of the strangest stories in Genesis is found in the thirty second chapter. Here, Jacob and God wrestle all night. What a struggle! What a night! This was no ordinary fight. Jacob’s goals and God’s were not the same. 

Imagine a Father wrestling on the floor with his children. What is going on in the father’s mind is very different from what the child is thinking. The child thinks he is winning. So he keeps working on his secret moves. The father (although he knows the match is over whenever he wills) prolongs the event for the pleasure of fellowship.        

Our life is often one long wrestling match with God. We think if we work hard enough, we can beat Him. And our Father keeps pinning us and holding us for His pleasure and our good.        

Instead of trying to beat God, why don’t we get to know Him. Why don’t we learn to trust Him.         

Dear God and Father, sine you know everything, you know me inside and out. You know what a mess I have made of things. Rarely do I resist the devil but I often resist You. I say I love You, but I disobey. I say I trust You yet I am always resisting You. I am sorry. Help me defeat me. Help me to die to self. Please dear Lord, deliver me. Thank you for putting up with me. And thank you for forgiving me.  In the name of Your Son, Jesus, who never resisted You, I pray. Amen.

Paul Shero
San Angelo, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment