Saturday, August 6, 2011

Casual Prayer

Hear, O Lord, and answer me…guard my life…have mercy on me…bring joy to your servant…lift up my soul…teach me your way…give me an undivided heart…

You are my God…You are forgiving and good, abounding in love….Among the gods there is none like you…no deeds can compare with yours…you are great and do marvelous deeds…great is your love toward me…you O Lord are a compassionate God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness… (Excerpts from David’s Prayer in Psalm 86).

Disclaimer:  

Critiquing prayer is as risky as suggesting a chef can’t boil water.  Amen?  
I’m going to do it anyway.

People pray.  We can’t help it.  God made us to enjoy a symbiotic relationship with him.  That’s why even atheists pray when backed in a corner with nowhere to go, their life in the balance and nothing to lose.  Prayer is the most intimate part of our relationship with God and is not to be engaged in casually.

Sometimes life is so overwhelming that all we can do is press our souls against God’s heart and keen silently from the depths of our misery.  Most of you know what I mean.  If you haven’t been there yet, you will.

Other times we fling our prayers in the direction of God’s throne hoping He’ll answer without slowing us down.  “Casual” prayer falls somewhere in between.  
In casual prayer we talk at God, not with him.  “I want [fill in the blank].”  “Forgive my sins.”  “Help me (be more spiritual…do a good job…make good decisions…”  “Be with me (at work…at school…during the game…).”  Casual prayers are benign statements we can – and do – recite with our eyes closed.    

God already promised to be with us and help us and forgive us.  He’s faithful to all his promises, loving toward all he made, and remains faithful forever (Psalm 145:13; 146:6).  God’s faithfulness changes our dull, casual prayers into brilliant, purposeful thanksgiving for everything he’s already done and continues to do!

Imagine:  God knew us before we were born (Psalm 139:13)!  In Psalm 86 we can tell that not only does the psalmist know God, but he knows that he is known by God.  Throughout this lament, their relationship is beautifully and thoroughly articulated.  I want to learn how to pray like that.

Father God, your love and faithfulness fill us with awe.  We want to be more respectful of you, and more thoughtful and purposeful when we talk to you.  Give us open hearts to know you intimately, as you already know us.  Thank you for answering this prayer as we offer it through Jesus, our brother and Savior, amen.            

Sandra Milholland
Abilene, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment