Thursday, August 4, 2011

Those Good Ole Days of Summer

Summer blessings come in all shapes, sizes, colors, smells, and tastes.  As I reflect over the past couple of months I see God’s blessings all over my summer.  The relaxed summer schedule has allowed me and my family to glorify God through simple acts of love such as creating memories with family and friends, mission trip, city outreaches, church camp, work projects, and lending a helping hand to those in need.  It’s not the task itself that’s important to mention, but what’s in the heart while doing it and the simple love for the One we serve.

My teenager has a favorite t-shirt that reads Live with Love.  In John 15:12 we are commanded to love each other as Christ has loved us.  There are countless scriptures that reflect on this: John 13: 34-35; Romans 13:8, I Thes. 4:9; Heb. 13:1, I Pet. 1:22, 4:8; I John 3:11, 23, 4:7, 4:11-12: II John 5.  Living with love makes us stretch our love beyond our own family circle so that it becomes a force that shapes the immediate lives around us.

As obstacles of life continue we will always long for “those good ole days of summer,” when life seemed so much simpler.  Sometimes it’s difficult to love others, so we have to go not by our feelings, but by our hearts.  Do you have the love of Jesus Christ in your heart?  Make a decision to open up and live with love.  You will experience genuine and lasting joy --- for God is love. John 15:11.

Father God, give us eyes to see others in need and grant us grace to serve in a way that truly models the humility of Jesus Christ.  Thank you for summertime and the relaxed spirit it brings to our lives.  Let our love be fierce and strong!

Carla Henson
Tuscola, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment