Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Symbol and Covenants


A few months ago my heart sank when I looked down and realized a diamond in my wedding ring had been lost during the day’s activities.  My heart grieved until I recognized that the ring I have worn for 29 years was merely a symbol of the cherished marriage covenant I had entered with God and the man to whom my heart belongs.  Only a fragment of the token that represented our married journey together was lost-but the precious covenant remained stronger than ever.

Many Christians display crosses as jewelry, bumper stickers, on walls in our homes, etc.  A young niece walked into a relative’s home and stated, “Boy, you sure love Jesus,” as she gazed at the various crosses on the wall.  Again, my heart pondered; it is not our crosses that are precious to us but the eternal covenant they symbolize.  This treasured covenant gives us great hope, daily joy and a holy, pursuant love for lost souls.

Psalm 39:7 “And now, LORD, for what do I wait?  My hope is in You.”

1 Thessalonians 5:8 “But since we are of the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet, the hope of salvation.”

Psalm 51:12 “Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and sustain me with a willing spirit.”

Psalm 132:9 “Let Your priests be clothed with righteousness, and let Your godly ones sing for joy.”

Matthew 28:19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit,”

Romans 5:5 “and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.”

2 Corinthians 5:18, 20 “Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation,” “Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us, we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.”

Thank You, Holy, Loving Father, for the covenant we enjoy with You, through the loving sacrifice of Your Son.  Your love for us is boundless and treasured.  Thank You for the marriage covenant You created for us to honor and cherish.  Help us to be faithful, covenant people with You and the spouses You have graciously given us.  May we keep the symbols of these covenants in proper perspective to the remarkable gifts they represent.

In the precious name of Jesus, amen.

Mischelle Oliver
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment