Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Prayer VS Worry

It is inevitable that life is full of ups and downs. Some of these things are beyond our control and some, quite frankly, we create ourselves because we are people with clay feet. The problem that I have--and to which most of you can probably relate--is how I cope when they arise. My first instinct as a human being is to worry about the situation to bring about a resolution. I will confess I have spent an awful lot of time in my life worrying. I’ve worried about my job, my wife, my kids, approaching deadlines and shrinking budgets. I’ve worried about bills and expenses, rising gas prices, insurance costs and endless taxes. I’ve even worried about having my home in perfect condition for my family and company. With two little ones around and company that have kiddos, the house is turned upside down seconds upon their arrival and no one even notices.  

I’ve worried about first impressions, political correctness, terminal diseases, whether my house is going to sell or not and the list goes on. In spite of all this worrying I am still alive and well and bills are paid and life is good.

Over the span of my 32 years on this earth (yes, I know I am young and still have a lot to learn), worrying accounts for numerous hours of invaluable time that I will never get back. Over the past several months, I have been in constant conversations with my God and have made a conscious effort to spend my time more wisely and more enjoyably. Yeah, I know you are probably thinking, "Come on, Landon, I have heard this time after time and this is a Basic 101 concept, but how do I get to the root cause and stop actual worry?" By reading this far in this article if you’re not convinced yet to give up worrying (I know easier said, than done), here are some biblical reasons not to worry. This is the answer to the questions you have formulated in your head up to this point.

1.  Worrying accomplishes absolutely nothing.
If you are like me, I do not have time to waste these days and worrying is a waste of very precious time to solve a problem or bring about a solution. Why waste the time and effort? Matthew 6:27-29 asks if all your worries add a single moment to your life. And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are.

2.  Worrying is not good for you.
Worrying is destructive to us in more ways than one. It is mentally destructive. It can cause us to grow physically sick. Proverbs 12:25 says worry weighs a person down, but an encouraging word cheers a person up.

3.  Worrying is the opposite of trusting God.
The energy that we spend worrying can be put to much better use in prayer.
Philippians 4:6-7 reminds us not to worry about anything. Instead, we should pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank Him for all He has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Jesus Christ.

4.  Worrying puts our focus in the wrong direction.
When we keep our focus on God, we know how much He loves us and we realize we truly have nothing to worry about. God has a plan for us and part of that plan is taking care of us. Even when difficult times arise and it seems God does not care, we put our heart and soul in His hands and focus on His kingdom. God will take care of our every need. Matthew 6:31-33 says we shouldn’t worry about such things as: 'What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?' These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but our heavenly Father already knows all our needs. Seek the kingdom of God above all else and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need. 1 Peter 5:7 says we should give all our worries and cares to God, for He cares about us.
Father, Give us the strength and wisdom to be conscious and put our total focus on you.  You loved us so much and care for us so dearly that you sent Jesus to die for us. Help us to be constantly reminded of that and strengthen our faith. We love you, in your precious name, Amen.

Landon Kribbs
Springtown, Texas

1 comment:

  1. It is a difficult battle to fight the "demon" of worry. Satan wishes to disrupt our lives and take away our peace. He is experienced, cunning and knows us so well. Equipped with the full armor of God we will win but it is a lifelong battle.

    ReplyDelete