Friday, July 15, 2011

Theme: Repentance: Can We Say That?

I have no problem admitting it: I am a guy that reads the directions.

But there are a lot of people that don’t – especially men.  I know it. You know it. It’s the truth.  But on occasion, I like to see if I can put something together on my own.

Two weekends ago I was replacing a ceiling fan in my in-laws house, and I thought I remembered how to install the fan.  After all, my father-in-law and I had done three or four already over the last year or so when we visited their home.  So, I didn’t bother reading the directions.  I thought I knew best.  After a while though, I figured out I had to go step by step as was written in the book because I had skipped an important step that would keep the fan hanging correctly and securely.  And I am not sure about you, but I don’t necessarily want the ceiling fan waking me up in the middle of the night after it has fallen on my legs and feet.

I should have read the directions and followed them to the “T”, but I thought I knew how to do it – of course, it would have saved me time had I just started with the booklet from the beginning.

In 2 Kings 5 we read of a man who also had problems with directions.  Naaman was a commander of the army of the king of Aram, and his king regarded him as a great man. 

The problem was, Naaman suffered from leprosy.  Leprosy is a horrible disease that attacks the nerves in the hand, feet and face.  It horribly disfigures its victims and the resulting nerve damage causes loss of sensation in the extremities, eyes and eyelids.  In fact, injuries to those extremities cannot be felt and often result in the loss of the fingers, toes, etc. because of infection.  It also keeps the eyelids from blinking and the eyes dry out, leading to dust in the eye and/or infection, both resulting in loss of sight.  Sounds pleasant right?

So when a young Israelite captive and slave felt compassion toward Naaman and his wife, the little girl told Naaman about a prophet in Samaria that could help him recover from his disease.

With the blessing of his king, Naaman took money and clothing and headed to the land of Samaria.  Eventually, Elisha got word of a man looking for healing and sent for him.  When Naaman and his entourage arrived at Elisha’s door, a servant came and told him to go dip seven times in the Jordan River.

This was not what Naaman expected.  He was upset and said “aren’t the Abana and Pharpar, rivers of Damascus, better than all the waters of Israel? May I not wash in them, and be clean? So he turned and went away in a rage.” (5:11,12)

He was probably expecting something a little more grandiose. At least the prophet would come lay his hands upon him, or bless him in person or maybe even something bigger. But to dip in a dirty river seven times – he probably thought “surely I can find something better than that cure.”

Then Namaan’s servants, who were concerned about him, pushed him to do what he was told.  “…If the prophet had told you to do some great thing, would you not have done it?  How much more, then, when he tells you, ‘Wash and be cleansed!’” (v. 13)

So Namaan went and did as told, he followed the directions – and low and behold – he was cured of his leprosy. 

We can learn a few lessons from this story.  First of all, the young captive Israeli girl could have spite toward Naaman and his family, but she had love for them.  That is a great example of unconditional love.  She was a slave in a strange land, yet she had compassion toward her “lord” because she knew the way of THE Lord. 

Jesus teaches us that we are not just to love those that love us, but to love those that hate us or despise us or talk down to us, etc.  (Matthew 5:43-48).

We can also learn a lesson of obedience from this story.  We should learn to follow the directions from the beginning and not just try to figure it out on our own.  Naaman did that, and his presumptions almost cost him the cure.  If we try to do it on our own, won’t our fate be the same?  We must be more sincere in what we think, feel, and believe if we want God’s salvation.  Namaan’s pride got in the way – does yours?

Naaman was a man of importance to his king, but he still had a dreaded disease.  Like leprosy, there is no man-made cure for sins.  Sins themselves can cause us to lose feeling, though maybe not in our bodies, but we become numb to our beliefs, our heart, self-blindness etc.  Both leprosy and sin are awful things to deal with that can cause death.

There are those that believe in man-made cures for sin.  Many turn to priests, preachers, friends, etc.., to cure their sins, but the cure does not lie within man’s power.

We know that the cure lies solely in God’s hands.  It is by his power and grace we can be cured and saved. 

We know both disease and sin destroys the body, but do we have unconditional love for our friends, loved ones – and even our enemies – as that of the slave girl?  To watch someone die of a disease is horrible and disheartening.  Much more, why do we stand back and watch someone’s life waste away full of sin?  We all do it. We all know people who would benefit from the cleansing power of the blood of Christ, but yet we sit still, or maybe we don’t push quite as hard as Namaan’s servants did. 

We must overcome sin and self to obey God.  Namaan did, and through his change in heart, he was saved from a horrible disease.  Through my repentant heart, I died to myself and was saved by being cleansed on a July evening many years ago at church camp as my sins were washed away in the mountains of New Mexico.  The water was cold, but the feeling was warm because I knew that my spiritual leprosy had been taken away from me.

A ceiling fan has two main purposes: it provides light and air.  We are told in Matthew 5:14 to be the light of the world.  A light provides a break in darkness, and are we not to do just that: help those around us through the darkness of sin and to learn and experience the salvation that is offered? If only we would do that with true and humble hearts, forgetting our own iniquities and  reservations we could provide that breath of fresh air God provides when he takes away our disease.

Perhaps the lesson here is not just about our initial obedience or renewing our relationship with the Creator by stepping away from a sin habit.  Perhaps it is also about us learning to help refocus those we know and love – and even those we don’t – so they, too, may benefit from a good dipping in the Jordan River.

Father,
May we be reminded daily that the salvation you offer is open for all, and that we need to step away from ourselves and into the hands of the Healer and Creator – for you alone can cure us of our faults.  May we also help those around us to know and understand what it means to be Your child. Give us the strength and words to help someone come to know you more and take the steps needed to experience you
r power, grace and salvation. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Joey Roberts
Stephenville

No comments:

Post a Comment