Saturday, July 9, 2011

Theme: Need Some Encouragment?

Solid Ground

"I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me. When I turned I saw seven gold lampstands, and among the lampstands was One like the Son of Man, dressed in a long robe, and with a gold sash wrapped around His chest. His head and hair were white like wool--white as snow. His eyes like a fiery flame, His feet like fine bronze fired in a furnace, and His voice like the sound of cascading waters. In His right hand He had seven stars; from Hs mouth came a sharp two-edged sword; and His face was shining like the sun at midday. When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man. He laid His right hand on me, and said, 'Don't be afraid! I am the First and the Last, and the Living One. I was dead, but look--I am alive forever and ever, and I hold the keys of death and Hades.'" (Revelation 1:12-18)

John, who wrote down the things revealed to him in the Spriti, after a short introduction, records his first vision: the risen Lord. Even before the letters of encouragement to the seven churches, he sees a vision of Jesus, risen again. First priority seems to be reminding the saved that Jesus Christ was, indeed, crucified, buried, and raised up again in victory. If there is any doubt in their minds, any disbelief, any reliance on some other perceived truth, John attempts to eradicate this by telling them so vividly about their Messiah, triumphing over death. 

In so doing, John reminds them why they are victorious as well. In the seven letters, he identifies "the victor" based on various things--those who eat from the tree of life, those who triumph over the second death, those who eat the hidden manna, who receive a white stone, who receive the morning star, who wear white clothes, whose names are written in the book of life, and several more word pictures. By first describing Jesus in His victorious splendor, John reminds early Christians that their victory is only through Christ's death, burial, and resurrection. By then describing the symbols of our victory (which cannot be attained on this earth), He reminds us to look for our victory somewhere besides the achievements and accolades of this life.

This, of course, means that the burden of eternity is not ours to carry, though, often, we arrogantly believe that it is. Just like we can't die for our own sins, neither can we go out and earn any of those things that the victor is promised. By choosing to love and follow the One who made that sacrifice and became the Victor over sin, we are choosing victory as well.

I struggle with feeling like I have to "do things" to prove myself worthy. Sometimes I fall prey to the belief that earthly victory and eternal victory are synonymous. Taking responsibility for my own victory really takes the shine off of what Jesus did for me. Reading this passage fills my heart with joy. Knowing that my victory cannot be secured by anything that I do motivates me to do the things that I do for the right reasons. It makes me serve, worship, and love more passionately and earnestly, because I am peacefully resting in the knowledge that Jesus gave me the right to do all of those things. They are not things I have to feel burdened by--they are things that He graciously invites me to do as part of His grace-filled promise.

These words, from one of my favorite hymns, remind me of the promises that are repeated in the book of Revelation:
"When He shall come with trumpet sound, o may I, then, in Him be found. Dressed in His righteousness alone, faultless to stand before the throne. On Christ, the Solid Rock, I stand. All other ground is sinking sand."

Sometimes, realizing the futility of the things we invest in here is scary. However, it should be a sweet assurance, because if we are investing in them out of a desire to be fully obedient to the call given to us by our Victor--the one with feet bronzed like fire and hair as white as snow--then they are merely things that we can love and hold dear withou extensive obligation. We can do them and love them but not wear them, because we are only clothed if we're wearing His righteousness--alone.

"'Don't be afraid! I am the First and the Last, and the Living One. I was dead, but look--I am alive forever and ever, and I hold the keys of death and Hades.'"

Resting in the knowledge that Jesus Christ triumphed is standing on solid ground. Juxtaposing that knowledge to anything else we could choose to stand on makes the "anything else" look like pretty precarious standing. Because all other ground is sinking sand. I'm glad we aren't obligated to stand on that kind of ground.

Father,
Thank you for reminding us in your holy word that Jesus is the victor. Thank you for showing us solid ground that we can stand on, so we don't have to stand on our own accomplishments and efforts. Thank you for showing us that standing on the solid gound of Jesus' promise is choosing victory. We rejoice in that victory and rest peacefully in the knowledge that it is so. We love you even when we make the mistake of venturing out onto dangerous terrain.

In Christ alone,
Amen.

Erin Daugherty
Abilene Christian University

No comments:

Post a Comment