Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Theme: Need Some Encouragement?

Renew My Strength

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint.”  Isaiah 40:29-31

I could have used those eagles’ wings last week!  Don’t get me wrong, it was the best week ever: Mimi’s Summer Camp.  Every year my three granddaughters spend a week in June with Mike and me in Stephenville.  Joel’s girls are Lexie and Lauren, 8 and 11. Scotty’s Sydney is 11.  We always have a great time.  But sometimes there is conflict – you know how it can be with sisters and cousins; so alike, but also, each so different.  And nothing is as exhausting as dealing with conflict.  I have reason to believe in Isaiah’s promise that the Lord “gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak!”  With each passing year I’m a little more weary and little less powerful. After all, “Even youths grow tired and weary.”  But I’m so thankful for this week; this opportunity to make some memories for my granddaughters and for myself. 

Actually, I know there are things more exhausting than dealing with conflict.  My husband could sure use those eagles’ wings about now, as could other ranchers and farmers in Texas.  The worst Texas drought since record-keeping began over 100 years ago has dried up the grass and the water.  Mike is busy every day in the triple-digit heat, checking on cattle and moving them to find grass and water.  Feed prices are rising and hay is getting hard to find.  It’s a pretty desperate situation, and he will soon have to cull part of the herd he has built up over many years.  He’s discouraged and tired, but he too has the assurance that “those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will walk and not be faint.”

I was touched and encouraged by Sandra Milholland’s article on this blog June 12, “The Bittersweet Task of Caregiving.”  My mother, too, suffers from Alzheimer’s.  I’m not her full-time caregiver by any means.  But I do spend a lot of time with her, and make all decisions about her care.  Sandra’s post describes some of my emotions – fear, anger, frustration, sadness, love, guilt, fatigue. Sometimes I wonder WHY? Isaiah 40:28, the verse before the promise of wings like eagles says, “Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth, and his understanding no one can fathom.”  So, I think if you know that God’s ways are unfathomable, you can simply trust that He knows what He is doing. I can no longer find the Mother I know in her physical body, so I take comfort in thinking of her soaring on wings like eagles.  Her hope has always been in the Lord.

In Isaiah 40 the people of Judah were in captivity in Babylon because of their unbelief and disobedience.    They had grown tired and weary; their spirits were discouraged because of their affliction.  They were sure that God would not listen to them or help them; they cried, “My way is hidden from the Lord; my cause is disregarded by my God.”  (“My case is so bad that God can’t even help!”)  Isaiah says NOT SO!

We all have times when we are weary or overwhelmed by the pressures of life.  We stumble and fall.  But this scripture gives us a clear remedy:  Hope in the Lord. Wait in faith for Him to act.  He is there to lift us up if we do; to soar on wings like eagles. 

Father in heaven, today I choose to put my hope in You. Thank You for renewing my strength and keeping me close to You. May my granddaughters hope in You; lift them up that they may soar on wings like eagles. May my mother have peace in your grace and strength in your mighty power over death. Thank you for sending your beloved Son to be a light to the world and to lead us through this life.  I pray through Him that You will forgive me when I stumble and fall.  May I remain faithful to your Word until my hope is fulfilled in heaven.  And Lord please send us rain.

Lynn Anne Hughes
Stephenville, Texas, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment