Thursday, June 16, 2011

Written in the Stars?

I am a college student. My sophomore year, I got in a huge argument with one of my professors. We were talking about the discussion of Universalism in a book by theologian Marcus J. Borg, called The Heart of Christianity. It is a common belief amongst Christians (especially younger Christians) today that hell is not a reality. Their reasoning is based on one aspect of the nature of God. He is a God of love, compassion, grace, and mercy. How could this God send people to a place of eternal suffering?

Well, based on that assessment, I had a question. I raised my hand and said, “Well, if we’re all going to heaven, then what’s the point of being a Christian?” My professor got really angry. “Because your motivation for ‘being good’ shouldn’t simply be based on your carnal fear of damnation! You shouldn’t be pushed into beliefs because you’re afraid of the consequences of not pursuing those beliefs!” I was a little confused, because that wasn’t really what I was asking.

“Sir,” I said, “I have several friends who claim agnosticism, or even atheism, but they are some of the most dedicated people I have ever met. They live clean and pure lifestyles. They spend their time serving the less fortunate, giving their time and money to the poor, hungry, sick, uneducated, abused, and unloved. Their lives are dedicated to selflessness. It is fascinating to me how they emulate Jesus Christ, but they do not claim Him as their Savior, nor do they acknowledge Him as sovereign. They live the way Christians do, but the one thing that is missing is a belief in a spiritual reality. That’s why I’m asking. If we’re all going to heaven and they’re being good without professing faith, then what’s the big deal? Because it seems to me one can be ‘good’ without being a Christian.”

We stared at each other for a while before moving onto other topics. Some members of the class were ready to discuss hypothetical situations, like one in which Mother Theresa and Gandhi went to hell because they weren’t “Christians.” I wasn’t worried about debating whether Mother Theresa and Gandhi went to heaven. Honestly, it’s none of my business and it’s also not my call, so why should I dwell on it?

After class I told him that that was my issue. “Why do we waste so much time discussing whether so-and-so will go to heaven because they switched from the Church of Christ to the Baptist church when they got married, or worrying about whether a dead man who dedicated his life to loving people will be punished for not claiming Jesus Christ as his Lord?

He sighed and said, “I think it’s easier for Christians to argue about the fate of others than to proclaim why they believe their fate is secure.”

And it’s so true. The only thing we really can control is being sound in our beliefs, knowing why we believe what we believe, and imparting that to other people. It’s the mission Jesus gave us when He left this earth, and we lose sight of it so easily.

We were given a calling, and that’s what we should be using to determine how we speak, act, and live on a daily basis. If we believe that the story of Jesus Christ is absolute Truth, then this shouldn’t be a confusing topic for us.

I hear Christians from my generation say so often that evangelizing on the streets is “too hard”--the people aren’t open, the people won’t listen, they don’t know what to say, they don’t know how to say it, etc. I don’t think any of those things are the problem. I think the problem is that, first, we aren’t entirely sure what we believe, and, second, we don’t like the way it sounds rolling off the tongue.

It isn’t that often that people walk up to us and say, “What do you believe? Why do you believe that?” In these rare situations, we often find it easier to point out all the reasons why they are wrong, but wouldn’t we be more convincing if we could authentically impart why what we belief gives the greatest eternal blessings? I want to be able to answer that question boldly, passionately, and with assurance. You can classify this article as that very question--what do you believe and why? I hope it’s one that you can answer.

“Then Jesus came near and said to them, “All authority has been given to me in heaven and on earth. Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
--Matthew 28:18-20

God,
At the end of the day, we don’t know where Mother Theresa and Gandhi will end up, but we do know what you have called us to and what you have promised us. As we become secure in that knowledge, may our lives more intentionally portray it. It is my prayer that our motivation for living the way that we live and loving the way that we love may come from our unwavering belief in the story of Christ. Thank you for all that it promises and gives. We love you.
Amen.

Erin Daugherty, Abilene Christian University

No comments:

Post a Comment