Monday, June 13, 2011

While I Was Busy

Ahab was the king. Not a very good one, but he was the king. With the job came responsibilities. He went to do battle with the pagan Benhadad. Benhadad was his enemy and God’s enemy. When God delivered Benhadad into his hands, he knew what he should do. But Benhadad offered to make a deal. It would mean a lot of money for Ahab. He would receive whle cities as a gift and exclusive franchise in the malls of Damascus. So he let Benhadad go.
         
A prophet from God came to confront him. He knew Ahab wasn’t much for sermons so he sorta’ crept up on him. First he disguised himself, complete with a real bleeding wound. He called to the king and told him a story. It seemed in the midst of the battle he was put in charge of a prisoner. His duty was explained. He knew what he had to do, but he got distracted and the prisoner escaped.
        
His very words were, (I Kings 20:40) “And as your servant was busy here and there, he was gone.” The answer was clear to the King. This fellow had not done his duty. There was no excuse. He was guilty. The prophet pulled off his disguise and turned the tables on the King. The story was really about Ahab. Some lessons just sneak up on you. Ahab was guilty. But before we are too hard on Ahab, what about us? What’s happened while we weren’t looking? While we were busy here and there, the cults have come; our nation has become pagan; our children have grown up; our marriages have grown cold. It’s time we paid attention.  
         
Dear God, You know everything and deserve all praise. Since you know everything, you know all about me. You know how distracted I get. You know what I leave undone. You know how short I fall. I am so sorry. Please forgive me. Dear Lord, help me stay on task. Help me keep your word. Help me pay attention. In the name of Jesus, who never got side-tracked, Amen.

Paul Shero
San Angelo, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment