Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Theme: A Week with Peter


PETERS FLIP FLOP
(Matthew 16:13-24)

 In the 16th chapter of Matthew, verse 15, Jesus asked the disciples, “But who do you say that I am?” Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” We are proud of Peter. He got it exactly right. Jesus called him blessed and promised him the keys to the kingdom. He even promises that heaven would back his work.

That is why we are so shocked when we read in verse 22… “And Peter took him (Christ) and rebuked him saying ‘God forbid, Lord! This shall never happen to you.’”
         
One minute Peter is acknowledging Jesus as the Christ, the only Son of God and with the next breath, he is correcting Jesus like a child. What gives? We must understand who Jesus is an
d acknowledge this truth before men. And we must understand who we are and acknowledge that as well.
         
Peter was fine with Jesus as Christ. But Peter still had too high a view of himself as an advisor or partner with Jesus.
         
So, Jesus took the disciples aside and taught them, in verse 24, “If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.” 

The confession of Jesus is much easier than the denying of self.

Dear Lord, you are to be praised for your great works. You saved us by giving us your own son. He saved us by denying self, taking up his cross and dying for us. Following Christ is hard. I do a poor job of denying self. I resist the cross. Please forgive me. Help me become the living sacrifice you want.
         
Please forgive me for arguing with you, advising you and ignoring you.  Help me.  I want to follow Christ Jesus.    In His name, I pray.   Amen

Paul Shero
San Angelo, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment