Sunday, June 19, 2011

Theme: A Week with Peter

Oh, what’s in a name?

In reading about Peter and his brother Andrew in John 1, we get to peer into the minds of some of the first people to meet the now-openly recognized Messiah and, as a result of this meeting, to choose to believe in Him. Immediately after Andrew introduces Peter to Jesus, Jesus gives Peter a new name. Upon their first encounter, Jesus looks into Peter’s heart and defines the very essence of Peter as a man and spiritual being, by changing his name.

We know who Peter is later on in the book--the one who denies Jesus, the one who begs Him not to speak of His death, the one with the bad temper. If Jesus could look into his heart and know the nature of his spirit, why did He give him the name “Cephas?” Cephas is Aramaic, a word whose meaning is identical to that of the Greek name Petros--“rock.” Why did Peter get this name?
He’s skittish, hotheaded, and will deny his belief or doubt Jesus when things get a little rough. But he gets the name that means “rock.” He doesn’t seem very steady, solid, or unwavering to me.

The way John writes is absolutely entrancing. As I read this book, my favorite of the gospels, I feel like Jesus is looking straight into my heart and mind as He speaks to Jews and Gentiles, apostles and Pharisees, mothers and sons and soldiers and adulterers. Here are some examples:
Jesus to the disciples: “What are you looking for?” (1:38)
Jesus to the paralyzed man: “Do you want to get well?” (5:6)
Jesus to the Twelve: “You don’t want to go away too, do you?” (6:67)
Jesus to Martha: “Didn’t I tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God?” (11:40)
Jesus after the footwashing: “Do you know what I have done for you?” (13:12)
Jesus to Peter: “Will you lay down your life for me?” (13:38)
Jesus to those waiting to arrest Him: “Who is it you’re looking for?” (18:7)
Jesus to Mary, after He has risen: “Who is it you are looking for?” (20:15)
 
Each time I read these questions, I feel a voice in my ear whispering, “What are you looking for, Erin? Do you want to get well? Would you lay down your life for Him? What do you believe truth is?” I feel unsettled after I read this gospel, and I think that’s why. Those questions are meant for the reader just as much as they’re meant for the person within the narrative to whom Jesus directs them.

Three times Jesus asks His followers who or what they are looking for, the first of which is right before He calls Peter by his new name. This takes my mind to the book of Revelation: “Because you have kept my command to endure, I will also keep you from the hour of testing that is going to come over the whole world to test those who live on the earth. I am coming quickly. Hold on to what you have, so that no one takes your crown. The victor: I will make him a pillar in the sanctuary of My God, and the name of the city of My God--the new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God--and My new name” (Revelation 3:10-12).

Despite Peter’s character flaws, He is a victor and one of Jesus’ chosen until the very end. Peter gets a new name, and as I read this gospel with ominous questions floating around in my head, I know that we get what Peter gets, too. We’ve surely failed as well. Maybe not in the same ways as Peter, but in ways that make us feel unworthy of that new name. But, as the book of Revelation says, we have made the commitment to endure, and are therefore identified by a new name as the redeemed in Christ. Peter is a blessed reminder that all who are continually looking for Jesus and remaining faithful are restored and renewed. He reminds me that Jesus calls us by name and we are His.

God,
Sometimes, in reading about Peter, we judge him a little too harshly. Thank you for this example of Jesus calling a man who is sometimes cowardly, sometimes doubting, and sometimes afraid to proclaim what he believes. We know that we are all there at times, but that we are still branded with a new name because of your mercy and grace, just like Peter. Thank you for redefining us so we don’t have to define ourselves. We know your definition of us will endure forever. Thank you for making us victorious. We love you.
In the name of our Victor,
Amen.

Erin Daugherty
Abilene Christian University

1 comment:

  1. The way Erin writes is "absolutely entrancing"! Girl, you move me to tears, laughter and deep conviction. May God continue to bless you as you walk with him.

    ReplyDelete