Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fools...Not!

That’s it. I’m fed up. I’m leaving. It might not be on a jetplane – because that is expensive, but I’m through. I can’t take it anymore. The situations, the way people act, the things they argue about. Worthless. It’s all a sham.

I am done. There’s no point to hanging around any longer. I’m out. I’m finished. I’m taking this “job” and shoving it… that was what Johnny Paycheck sang, wasn’t it? I’m walking out the door.

 
I can’t take the people who say one thing and do another. I can’t take the ones who blame others because of their lack of wanting to get close to people… and to the boss. Am I doing the same thing in other people’s eyes? Do I talk one way and walk another? Do I try to push the blame of not getting things done the right way onto other people?

Perhaps. But it doesn’t matter. I’m through. Finé. Caput.

Sorry God. Sorry Christ. Sorry Holy Spirit. But I’m leaving because just when I think everything is going fine – People around me show me different. Tell me different. Act different. No, it’s not my fault. I’m not the one to blame.

So, I’m adopting the following mantra written by someone else. Read it line by line.  You might want to adopt it, too.

“I live my life according to these beliefs
God does not exist
It’s just foolish to think
That there is an all-knowing God with a cosmic plan.
That an all-powerful God brings purpose to the pain and suffering in the world
It  is a comforting thought however
It is only wishful thinking
People can do as they please without eternal consequences
The idea that
I am deserving of hell
Because of sin,
Is a lie meant to make me a slave to those in power
“The more you have, the happier you will be.”
Our existence has no grand meaning or purpose
In a world with no God
There is freedom to be who I want to be
But with God
Life is an endless cycle of guilt and shame
Without God
Everything is fine
It is ridiculous to think
I am lost and in need of saving.”

Is it true? Do I really think this?
No, of course not. I know the God who created this earth entered human experience in the person of the Son and died for you and me. But, quite honestly, there are times when I really identify with the feelings above.  You know...those times when you are just fed up with the way people act and the things they do and say. The hypocritical way they live. The way they are inwardly focused on their own wants, needs and fulfillment. I know God does exist, and I truly do adopt the second half of the mantra the man wrote when he said that…

“God reversed my thinking…

I am lost and in need of saving
It is ridiculous to think
Everything is fine
Without God
Life is an endless cycle of guilt and shame
But with God
There is freedom to be who I want to be
In a world with no God
Our existence has no grand meaning or purpose
“The more you have the happier you will be”
Is a lie meant to make me a slave to those in power.
Because of sin,
I am deserving of hell.
The idea that
People can do as they please without eternal consequences
Is only wishful thinking
It is a comforting thought however
That an all-powerful God brings purpose to the pain and suffering in the world
That there is an all-knowing God with a cosmic plan.
It’s just foolish to think
God does not exist
I live my life according to these beliefs."


Do we? On this April Fool’s Day are we cheating ourselves? Do we really subscribe to those second set of words? Do we truly believe that He exists, and do people know what we believe by the way we live? And not just among our friends and coworkers, but among our Christian brothers and sisters? Or are we fooling them, too? The problem is, I know we are not fooling God.

Sometimes I wonder if the people who do and say things about God’s people and are a part of God’s people are not more damaging than those outside of the church.

The Bible tells us we should lift one another up – not tear each other down. That’s Satan’s job, and last I checked, he’s so good at it, he doesn’t need anyone’s help.

What beliefs are you showing in the way that you live? In the things you say? In the actions you portray?

By the way, I’m not going anywhere, for I realize that the one true God exists and loves me and sent His Son to die for me. I may get fed up with people and things, probably like God gets with me sometimes, but my mantra comes from Philippians 2. I bow my knee to the name of Jesus and exalt him to the highest place. I strive to do everything without grumbling so that I may become blameless and pure like a t
rue child of God. I want to be able to “boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain” as I continue to work out my “salvation with fear and trembling” so that God works in me “to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.”

I pray to God that every day of my life is not an April Fool’s Day to those around me. I hope they truly see God living in me and through me. I don’t want my Christian walk to be a joke. How about you?

Heavenly Father, may my life be a praise and sacrifice to you. May I humbly give my life to you so that your will is enacted in my life and so you can use me in any way you see fit. Help me to say no to the temptation to shun grumble and complain.  Instead help me to be a person who uplifts those around me. Help me to live a life so you are not ashamed to call me your child. May I be an example to those around me daily. May I be a reflection of You. In Jesus’ name. Amen

Joey Roberts
Stephenville, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment