Sunday, April 3, 2011

God's Wonderful Grace

“These are the times that try men’s souls.” I’ve heard that statement several times in my short existence on this earth. It seems to me that “hard times” are never-ending! I have been blessed all my life. But, this week I've been challenged more than any other time in recent memory. I changed jobs, packed for a move, been alone without my family, etc. – all this week! It has been somewhat frustrating. (I can’t seem to find enough time in the day!) I’m sure that others have had more challenging weeks than mine. However, in the process of feeling overwhelmed, I was blessed to read 1 Peter 1. What a wonderful and encouraging chapter!!

Starting in verse 10, Peter talks about the promise of salvation:
Concerning this salvation, the prophets who predicted the grace that would come to you searched and investigated carefully. They probed into what person or time the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating when he testified beforehand about the sufferings appointed for Christ and his subsequent glory. They were shown that they were serving not themselves but you, in regard to the things now announced to you through those who proclaimed the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from Heaven – things angels long to catch a glimpse of.

The prophets prophesied about Christ and about the many blessings of grace through Christ. Examples of these blessings of grace are as follows:
Redeeming grace – from sin, Satan, death, and the grave
Justifying grace – through his righteousness witnessed by all
Pardoning grace – as a blessing of the new covenant and received through faith in Christ
Adopting grace – not for one people, but for all
Regenerating and Sanctifying grace – in giving a new heart and spirit, in baptism
Persevering grace – those that believe in God will not depart from him, his loving kindness will not depart from us, our salvation (God’s free gift)

God will never give us more than we can handle – we all know that. Therefore, in my opinion it’s important to remember what matters most everyday. Amidst all of the things going on around you we need to remember Jesus Christ died for us, and, because of that incredible, free gift of grace, we get to live forever with Him. I heard a wise man once say – “Grace is like water in that it runs downstream and pools in low places. No matter how crazy or low we get, that gift of grace saves and covers us. Thank you, Lord!

Casey Dacus
Graham, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment