Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Way Beyond the Lemonade Stand

Series: If I Was CEO of the Church for a Day...

Part of me has always wanted to own my own business. You could be your own boss, set your own hours, get things done that you thought would be best for you, your family, your customers, your world. But at the same time, being the CEO has a lot of responsibility. How can three little letters hold such tremendous weight?

I have had some ideas of starting a business here or there, but will they work? I don’t know. I guess that’s why I’ve never tried. They may be grand ideas inside my head, but what about when I transition from idea to reality? I’m just not sure. Maybe I don’t think I can handle that opportunity responsibly. Maybe “being in charge” scares me. But in my head, it’s a grand plan.

It probably started back when I was a child and tried to set up lemonade stands to make money. Or I’d mow lawns as I grew older to try to raise money for this and that. But inevitably, I’d get tired of carrying through with my “business” and move on to play with friends. I’m not sure I ever finished the job to the standard to which I had started with in my head.

In a similar vein, how many times do we think about running the church? If I could make the decisions, I’d put brown carpet down instead of red. If I could make the decisions, I’d use “Songs of Faith and Praise” rather than “Praise for the Lord.” I would have luncheons every Sunday. I would make sure that one gentleman never led another prayer – I mean, he prays for 15 minutes. I really like that song leader, but I’m not too big on that one. I think we should do more of this and less of that…

You’ve heard all those arguments and more. More than likely, if you are like me, you’ve probably at least thought them if not said them. And I know you’ve probably heard someone else say something of the sort because I have. In retrospect, I more than likely should have kept my mouth closed. But more than likely, I probably didn’t.

We are definitely quick to judge as to how we would do things, but we shouldn’t be. I grew up with a grandfather and a dad both of whom served as elders. Though I don’t envy the task, I try to live my life so that if God called me to serve in that capacity I would and could. I look up to elders, but I know they aren’t perfect – and they should not be held to that standard either. Most groups of elders are doing what they can to better the church and strive to follow Christ and God’s Word.

Hopefully, they are not trying to take over the church, but to preserve it. We all have grand plans in our heads about the future of our lives, families and of course how things ought to be done around the church. We may think we have the answers, but more than likely our solutions are flawed by human limitations of one kind or another. We let our own ideas and pride step in the way of the God who has already mapped out the mission statement and the plans for execution to make the church what it is, and what it always will be – no matter how much we try to mess it up.

I thank God that He knew enough not to put a human in charge. He gave His Son as our ransom and as the head of the Church. I praise Him for not putting me at the head of the church.
I also hope He helps me to not try to take over, but to lead in such a way that is good for Him and His kingdom. Afterall, the church is much more important than a cardboard box with 25 cent cup of lemonade sitting on it.

A price much greater was paid. And a CEO much better than I would ever be not only suffered that price, but He still serves as the head of the church.

Joey Roberts
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment