Thursday, March 3, 2011

Unflinching Kindness

Series: Battles of the Heart

How many different ways do our hearts become embattled on a daily basis? Too many to count, more than likely. When I think of a battlefield, I think of a violent, busy place. Coincidentally, that happens to be a pretty accurate description of an average day in my life. From the instant my feet hit the ground in the morning to the moment my head hits the pillow at night, I find myself in the midst of a violent, busy world that seeks to find ways to break my will and my spirit. We can all sympathize with this description, I suspect. The demands that our family, job(s), hobbies, & a myriad of other sources place on us can really put us at the center of a spiritual, emotional, & physical tug of war.

Specifically, I find myself occasionally pondering the intelligence of displaying and demonstrating kindness to the violent busyness of this world. Does it make sense to return handshakes to those who would fire flaming arrows? Is it wise or prudent to sidestep a sword swipe and then offer a smile or gentle nod of the head to the person wielding the sword? And is it pure insanity to repeatedly take blows to the body and head, only to offer forgiveness and a warm hug in return?
While these questions are not meant to be taken literally, they are proffered as assistance in addressing an issue that Christians today deal with constantly. How can we continue to be kind to a world that will not reciprocate? But is that really the issue with which we should be concerned? I feel that a deeper theological question might be, “Why do we need to be kind to a world that will not reciprocate?”

The importance of bearing the spiritual fruit of kindness is overwhelmingly apparent as one studies the New Testament. Being called to be an ambassador of Christ includes “clothing” ourselves in Him (2 Corinthians 5:20). Literally, Christians are to be a representative of Christ to those who either don’t know Him or at best don’t have that good of a relationship with Him.
One of the most basic ways that Christians can have an impact on those individuals that we meet in our violent, busy lives is in our personal interactions with them. We have to show kindness because Christ would show kindness. We have to show love because Christ would show love. As His representatives, it is our responsibility to take Him to all those that we meet. How better to do that than to replicate his treatment of individuals in interpersonal relationships?

Christ loved everyone! He demonstrated kindness, love, & mercy to all that He met! His presence on this earth was multi-faceted; including but not limited to – providing all that he met with the opportunity to worship God (the woman subject to bleeding, etc), & fulfilling God’s plan of salvation for us. Now that He is no longer here with us, the accuracy with which we represent Him to all that we meet is of paramount importance.

I must admit that I fail everyday, and I do not pretend to possess any magic bullets/potions/chants that will improve the quality of your walk with Christ. My life as a Christian is in a constant state of flux, and I am always reminded that I am indeed in the midst of a battlefield (whether I acknowledge it or not). However, my life has been noticeably blessed when I make a continued effort to bring the kindness of Christ to a world that does not expect or solicit it. It is my prayer that our tribe will be known as a kind group of people, just as Christ was known for his kindness to those who least expected or “deserved” it.

Blake Williams
Stephenville, Texas

1 comment:

  1. Blake, Thank you for your Words Today. Just the words I needed to encourage me to show kindness & love in a difficult situation.

    ReplyDelete