Sunday, February 27, 2011

What, Me Worry?

Series: Battles of the Heart


I can remember seeing Mad Magazine when I was in High School. Alfred E Neuman, the grinning, freckled cover boy’s slogan was “What, Me Worry?” He never looked very worried, despite impending disasters. Who would have thought that Mad Magazine would promote the Biblical principle described by Jesus in Matthew 6:25-27 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

I know people who are immobilized by worry. It is frustrating to watch helplessly as a loved one becomes frantic with worry over things that will probably never occur; a plane crashing, possible loss of a job, and other “negative fantasy” situations. There is no point in worrying about the future because worry almost never helps a situation and it ruins the present. Excessive worry can trigger a panic attack and is counterproductive, even destructive. Worry creates a battle of the heart.

What can be done? Try to convert destructive worrying into productive planning. There may be solutions for the worrisome issues. Itemize a list of the things you worry about, an attempt to make them less troublesome. Try to be more realistic about the future. Think about something other than the source of the worry. Pray!

I don’t worry about much. I do pray a lot. I pray for my family and friends. I pray for troublesome situations to be resolved. I pray for healing of bodies and hearts. Prayer is very calming when there is a new worrisome battle at work on my heart. God’s love and power are sufficient for the day. I want to depend on God to fight my battles for me.

Dear God, Please provide the assurance only you have the power to give, to win battles of the heart that are focused on worry!

Sherilyn Svien
Stephenville, Texas

1 comment:

  1. Well written piece. Worry immobilizes God's army.

    ReplyDelete