Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Dash between the Dates

Series: Living Like There's No Tomorrow

“Living like there is no tomorrow.” I can’t count the numerous times I have heard those 6 words, yet as many times as I have heard them I have never really had much sense to digest them. Is it a matter of being frightened by them or is that I am still on milk in my journey with faith? One of the hardest things that I have had a knock down drag out within my inner being, is that time seems to speed up as I get older; everyday is a path headed somewhere. The fabrics of my/our being continually create our story, each moment creating an impact that far outlives our lives.

Sometimes we are blessed with life until we are grey and wrinkled and it is used up to the fullest. On the other hand, sometimes life is unfair and is yanked from us prematurely. This leads us to question God. Sometimes we receive answers and sometimes we have to get past the “Milk Stage” of our faith and trust his vision that he has made clear to us. Nevertheless, each of us has to come to peace with the fact that we are going to face death (James 4:14.)

Research has been done that everything we think makes a concrete impression on our brains, therefore recording both positive and negative interpretations of who we are as a human being. With a little common sense and reasoning, it is not hard to understand that this is so true. Without scientific research the question still arises, "What would be the title and guts of our stories today?"

To help illustrate my article I have to go back and talk about a little boy that pens and paper can’t describe how special he was to me and others that came in contact with him. As I sit here and right these words I have to pause because of tears, but they are tears of extreme joy because of the lasting legacy he has bestowed upon many. His name is, Caleb Elston. Caleb had many physical and health aliments. The surgeries, the amount of times he was poked and jabbed are too many to count, but amongst all of this you could not keep a good boy down. Caleb was always happy. He always had a smile that would knock you to your knees and the joy that he got from going and getting whoever he could find and going for a walk somewhere was priceless. Even though he could only say a handful of words he expressed his love for everyone just because he was Caleb. Caleb lived each day of his 17 years like there was no tomorrow, partly because he never understood that there would be a tomorrow, but the silver lining of his story was written by each day of his life. He understood the simple things in life that meant the most like staking cups on top of each other or someone, me in particular, getting him on his stomach. I could go on and on about his example, but there is not a enough band width on any computer to talk about how he lived each day “like there was no tomorrow.”

As anyone would do, I tend to take brief moments throughout my life and start questioning myself when I see or hear a story about something or someone who exemplifies the true meaning of "living like there is no tomorrow." How am I/are we adjusting our plans today to serve God? (James 1:22) What are we adding to our so-called band width? Will we share our thoughts, advice and visions with others and those that will come after us when we are gone?

Each and every one of us is an author, whether we know it or not and our life is being mentally taped every day. The guts of our journey portray a message that one of our readers will certainly copy. I know what the dash between the dates of Caleb’s life says as he has gone on to be with Jesus. The question that remains for you and me is what will ours say?"

Jesus, thank you for life! What a precious gift you have given us. Jesus, help us to soak ourselves in Matthew 6:34. Help us to not be live in a guarded fashion but to live our lives for you and others in ways that language can’t explain. Jesus, thank you for this very special day and mold us to carry our towels in service to you and others. AMEN!!!

Landon Kribbs
Springtown, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment