Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Holy Adventury

Series: Living Like There's No Tomorrow


How do we live like there is no tomorrow? Do we get so caught up in the world that we can't or won't take time to dwell with God?

To ponder God? To practice His presence? Here are some thoughts from a special cousin of mine:
I am still practicing His constant Presence in my life. It is a matter
of keeping God foremost in my thoughts and attitudes no matter what I
might be doing at any time. Alas, it is practice, practice, practice
without end. – Scott Morris

I love that! To keep God first in your thoughts and practice it! I want to keep an urgency about taking my everyday minutes and happenings and practicing them into what God would have me do with them.

I was talking to a friend of mine last week about how we are both coping with the after effects of cancer. She commented that you just look at life a little differently when you have this experience. After you are feeling better you just want to LIVE! You want to do everything and see everything and put everything into your family and life and make your life count, especially for God. You see more clearly how precious time is and how unimportant worldly, selfish things are.

Just keeping our minds fresh by feeding on God's word and practicing dwelling in His presence is so important. Wake up and dwell with Him in His word and listen and talk to Him. He gives us the strength and motivation to face whatever our day holds.

I am trying to think of everyday as a Holy Adventure! Our preacher put it this way a few weeks ago:
Cows are creatures of habit. They walk on cow paths and just follow each other around. We are like that too. We follow the same paths that everyone else does and we don't take time to think what it would be like to be different. How incredible it would be to think of everyday as a chance to have a Holy Adventure through God!

In Heb. 11:8- Abraham, not knowing where he was going went on a holy adventure with God. Am I going to be an adventurer for God... or fold? Be bold... or be routine? Find my potential... or just be satisfied to be a cow on a path?

Wow...that makes me feel a little afraid. I have dealt with fear my whole life. It is how my adversary stops me cold. But, I have learned to daily - and I do mean daily! - how to lay down my fear. My God is bigger than the boogie man...as our children used to sing. What do I have to fear? I know where I am going. I know who holds me in the palm of His hand. I know the end of the story.

Isaiah 43:1-3 is so powerful and so comforting...
But now, this is what the LORD says—
he who created you, Jacob,
he who formed you, Israel:
"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the LORD your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;

God is not calling us to a small life. He is calling us to daily Holy adventure.
He is calling us to truly live like this world REALLY is not our home.
I think of the old song that I love...This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through.
Which reminds me of a new song that I love just as much.
It is called "Beautiful Letdown" by Switchfoot.
It was a beautiful let down
When I crashed and burned
When I found myself alone unknown and hurt
It was a beautiful let down
The day I knew
That all the riches this world had to offer me
Would never do
I don't belong here
I'm gonna set sight and set sail for the kingdom come
I will carry a cross and a song where I don't belong
But I don't belong
I don't belong here
I don't belong here
Kingdom come
Your kingdom come


Father God, please help us to live each day as a Holy adventure for You and through You. Help us have the eyes to see other people and to love and help them. Help us to practice Your presence in each moment. Help us to see that we don't belong here. We love you dearly.
In Jesus name. Amen.

Amy Walker
Nacodoches, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment