Saturday, February 12, 2011

From Isaac's Perspective

Series: More Than Kid's Stuff (Favorite Bible Stories)


Growing up, my family and I made several trips around the state for a few days of camping. They were fun times that created memories we will always cherish.

There were times that my dad and I just went on our own. We had a pup tent that was just right for the two of us, but we eventually had to take the large family tent as I got older. We’d take our food and drinks, books, games, etc. to entertain ourselves and stay well fed.

When I think about those times, I can’t but smile at the times our family and my dad and I shared. Those are still some of the fondest memories I have from my childhood.

I wonder if a young boy from Genesis could say the same thing.

We hear of Abraham and his wife, Sarah, being without a child for 100 years. Then, Sarah, as was promised by the Lord, became pregnant and bore a son, Isaac. We know that many nations were promised to Abraham and that his faith was tested in Gen. 22:1-3 when God told him to take his only son, Isaac, and offer him there as a burnt sacrifice.

We have all heard sermons about Abraham’s faith and assurance in God. But how many lessons have we heard from the other eyes in this story?

Most scholars believe that contrary to some people’s beliefs, Isaac was not a “little” boy. Most scholars say that he was anywhere from about 10 to 36, and there are many Jewish traditions that say he could have been in his 30s at the time. We do know that he was old enough to travel three days without his mother, and that he was mature enough to carry wood up the mountain for the sacrifice. We also know that the conversation with his father was that of at least a young man.

We can also surmise that Isaac had to know something was up. After all, he asked where the lamb was, and he was told God would provide the lamb (vs. 7-8). And Isaac trusted his father enough that he kept walking with him. In verse nine, they reached the place where God told Abraham to build an altar, and he did so. Then, Isaac – again old enough to carry the very wood on which he was about to be placed – allowed his father to bound him and place him upon the altar. He could have run. He could have fought back. He could have probably laughed it off as his father did when he first learned of his only son. But he didn’t.

He trusted.

Then his father, the one who was promised nations, lifted his hand with knife enclosed in order to slay his son, but as he did, the angel of the Lord called out and stopped him. The angel said, “Now I know that you fear God…” (vs. 12). But what about Isaac? Did Isaac fear God, too?

I believe he did. I am sure that Isaac was taught the way of the Lord by his father, and he trusted his father so that when Abraham told him that this is what God wanted, Isaac was willing to follow through. He didn’t flee, he trusted.

Part of the special part of this story is the place where this occurred. The region of Mount Moriah is the place of many events in the Bible. Solomon built the house of the Lord on Mount Moriah (2 Chronicles 3:1-2). Many of the events during the ministry of Jesus took place around Mt. Moriah with the scene of Christ’s arrest on the Mount of Olives just to the east and His crucifixion at Calvary just to the north.

As I hold my four-month-old son while I type this, I can’t even imagine what it took for Abraham to do what he did. But even more so, how much faith did Isaac have to trust in his own father when he could have clearly overpowered him physically. Afterall, Abraham was a bit over 100 at the time. But Isaac lay there without complaint. He did as he was told and trusted that his father knew best.

I did the same thing as I was growing up. When dad and I went camping, I trusted him. However, had my dad told me to lay down on an altar before lifting a knife above me, I am not sure that my trust wouldn’t have come to an abrupt ending. I'm not sure any of us would if we saw it coming. The problem is… our Savior saw it coming, too. And, thankfully, He, like Isaac, offered His body into the hands of His Father.

And God calls on us to give Him our undying trust each day. He calls us to give up ourselves and lay down. But do we? After all, the greatest memory of all didn’t come from a camping trip or a hike with dad, it came because one Son was willing to be bound and pierced. And praise God Jesus has more trust than me.

Father God, help me to have the faith and trust of Isaac. Help me to be willing to follow you where you lead me and do what you would have me to do. May I set aside my own agenda and trust in your way for you know what is best. Help me to live like Jesus and follow your path. Help me to be willing to be bound and pierced for You. In Christ’s name, Amen.

Joey Roberts
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment