Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Living in the Weeds

but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful. Mark 4:19

Worries of life
Will I get promoted, can I hang on until retirement, what is going to happen to my children, what if they can't find a job, do I have cancer, this country is in shambles, what if I lose my job, how am I going to pay for college, what if I fail, what if another Democrat is elected, what if another Republican is elected, what will happen if...,

Deceitfulness of wealth
My 401k is in great shape, I can take care of myself.  I'm going to keep working to grow my retirement.  If I move my family again this new job will mean another promotion and more money.      

Desires for other things 
I want another car,  we need to upgrade,  let's go shopping.  I think we should look at buying a bigger house, I'm bored in this relationship, that new I-Pad is a must have,  I think I'll go buy myself another.... 

When we follow the world's path driven and measured by human standards we become entrapped in a snare that only becomes tighter and more difficult to escape.   The New Century version says it this way:  

Some other seed fell among thorny weeds, which grew and choked the good plants. So those plants did not produce a crop.  Mark 4:7.  

Notice it says the thorny weeds choked the good plants and they didn't produce a crop.   Jesus isn't saying we are bad because we have worries, money, or desires.    The point of the story he tells is good people miss the fruit given by the Word because we are buried in our busy, anxious lives. 

There is no easy path here.  A literal moment by moment choice must be made to rise above the weeds and thorns in our lives which will try to grow up over us and engulf us.     Our work is to believe and trust in Jesus' promise.  In Matthew 11 He says if  you "accept my teachings and learn from me....you will find rest for your lives."    The world says living in the weeds is where you will find this rest. We know better.  Daily steps of faith shown by accepting what Jesus says and learning from Him allows the Word to sprout and grow in us.    By submitting my fears, my money, my schedule,  my desires,  my family,  and my will to His control a narrow, less-traveled path is discovered leading to a way of life hard to imagine.    

Father you have offered us rest for our lives if we will but accept and learn from You.   Lead us in the way we should go that baffles the world.   Increase our faith to trust completely in the guidance You give that leads us into Your kingdom.  

Scotty Elston
Shallowater, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment