Friday, July 12, 2013

Fear vs. Faith & Courage

In His perfect wisdom, God knows fear to be a constant foe to His children.  
He offers each of us the opportunity to break the bondage of fear.  
His Word instructs us:   “do not be afraid;” “be strong & courageous”
God urges us to be strong and courageous.  His Word encourages us not to be overcome by fear.
Fear threatens to stifle our God-given mission.  Faith in Him grows the courage He planted in our heart.

Remember the courage of the men and women who obeyed Him?     
                                                        
How did they defeat their fear to step out in faith?  

Noah, Abram, Moses, Joseph, Joshua, Deborah, His prophets, Ruth & Naomi, Hannah, Nehemiah, Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego, David, Job, Abigail, Esther, Joseph & Mary, His apostles, Paul, the widow who gave all, unnamed New Testament Christians who died cruel deaths for their belief. How many other examples do you recall?
Countless others before us and among us fearlessly obey.
And Jesus- His inspiring courage and enduring strength
What does God ask of you-of me?                                                                                                                                 
  • Say “Yes, Lord, I will”
  • Say “no” when sin entices
  • Be a temple
  • Face a giant
  • Step out of the boat
  • Trust during the storm
  • Fight the good fight
Each require that fear be laid aside and courage replace it.  God has promised to be with us, wherever we go. Through Him, we can be strong; we can be courageous.  He is our strength, our refuge and our Rock.  

Why do I often hesitate or shudder with fear?

May His Word and His faithfulness dissolve our fear and solidify our courage:
Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.  –John 14:27

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.   Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged,for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." – Joshua 1:9
           
When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.  – Psalm 56:3               
                         
So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen   just as he told me.  – Acts 27:5

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.  – 1 Corinthians 16:13
                  
I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.  – Philippians 1:20

Almighty God, Faithful Father,
May your Name be exalted and praised.  You have provided everything we need.  Help us lay aside fear.  Strengthen our hearts with courage.  Thank You for Jesus-for His faith in You, His courage to obey and His sacrifice for our redemption.
Through Jesus, Amen.

Mischelle Oliver
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment