Sunday, June 23, 2013

Obey!

Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. John 14:23


There is something about the word "obey" that we don't like.   Often it is used from a position of power imposing someone else's will on us.   And that just doesn't set well.  My human will pushes back when I am told to obey, and “You're not the boss of me" rushes to be spoken.  As we hear the command to obey from Jesus it is very easy to attach baggage that He never intended.  While Jesus was here on earth the scribes and Pharisees created a system of obedience that shackled followers and was impossible to keep.  As Christians we have made similar mistakes imposing an obedience of duty, tradition, or fear.  This kind of obedience bankrupts our spirits, robs us of joy, and leaves us disenfranchised with our faith.   Jesus' call is radically different and what He asks and why He asks us to obey is not what most of think.   Straight from His mouth:

If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.  I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.  John 15:7-12

Why should we obey?  Jesus shares two amazing truths.  First, our obedience keeps us in God’s love and brings glory to Him.  Loving others as Christ loved us displays the message of the cross to a world that is skeptical and cynical.  This allows God’s love to be seen, it draws people to Him, and He is glorified.  To grow in our faith to the point that our greatest joy is staying with our Father bringing Him glory is a faith cornerstone.  Second, Jesus’ incredible promise that our obedience to His commands brings His joy into us. Obedience anchored in our belief and trust in Him yields an extravagant gift difficult to comprehend; the joy of Christ just as He experienced it from God Himself, placed within us.  He describes it as a joy that is complete.  No words can explain this.

The commands of Christ are much simpler than we think obeyed by remaining in Him and loving each other as He loved you and me.  In our daily walk God is ready to deliver on His promises if we trust enough to obey.  

Lord Your promises are so vast and deep.  Help us to see them with faith to accept, courage to act, and persistence to never give up.   In Jesus name we pray.

Scotty Elston
Shallowater, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment