Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Gentle Giant


Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.

Philippians 4:5


He was affectionately called “The Gentle Giant.”  My grandfather stood 6’4”, much taller than the average man born in the early part of the 20th century.  A stranger could have been intimidated by his size.  Yet, after spending a short amount of time in his presence, his gentleness would become evident.  He spoke with a soft tone, rarely raising his voice.  Yes, he had high expectations and firm principles, but he was patient and kind-hearted.

Paul’s closing comments to the Church in Philippi included the exhortation to be gentle.  He intended for Christians to avoid harsh, stern, or violent language or behavior when interacting with others.  This does not imply a simple absence of mean-spirited or hurtful actions.  Nor, does it mean we should tolerate a standard of behavior that is inconsistent, ambiguous, or questionable.  Instead, Paul asks that our gentleness be evident to all.  We should be consistent, clear and obvious with our gentleness toward others.

According to Paul, the reason we should pay attention to how we treat others is because the Lord is near.  I will choose to be gentle because the Lord isn’t far away.  My actions are being observed and evaluated by all who are watching, including the Lord.

Prayer
Dear Heavenly Father, please help me stand tall in my relationships.  I want to be gentle.  Help me overcome my tendency to be harsh or overbearing.  Help me to be gentle with my words and, especially, with my tone of voice.  Thank you for your patience and loving kindness toward me.  In the saving grace of Jesus, amen.

Carl Smith
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment