Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Thanks For Telling Me


I watched them tear a building down, a band of men in a busy town.
With a ho, heave, ho, and a lusty yell, they swung a beam and the sidewall fell.
I asked the foreman, ‘Are these men skilled?  The men you’d hire if you had to build?’
He gave a laugh, and said, ‘No, indeed, just common labor is all I need.
I can easily wreck in a day or two, what builders have taken a year to do.’
And I thought to myself as I went
on my way, which of these roles have I tried to play?
Am I a builder who works with care?  Measuring life by the rule and square?
Am I shaping my deeds to a well-made plan, patiently doing the best I can?
OR am I a wrecker who walks the town content with the labor of tearing down?

The word (parakaleo) is used in the New Testament over 100 times.  The word is translated ‘encourage’.  Literally, the word means ‘to call’ and  the word means ‘beside or alongside’.  If you picture the meaning of the word, it suggests calling someone to stand beside you.  I picture putting my arm around another’s shoulder to give them a word of encouragement.  

The poem at the beginning contrasts those who destroy or tear down with those who build.  It is so much easier to ‘tear down’ in our relationships than to ‘build up and encourage’.  Being an encourager requires effort and creativity on our part.  Sarcasm, belittling, and criticism often flow from our lips with ease.  As a parent, or a spouse, or a sibling, or a co-worker, are you one who builds up (ENCOURAGES) or are you one who says hurtful words to others?

Barnabas is given the nickname ‘son of encouragement’ in the New Testament.  It is easy to discover why.  He was generous with his possessions so that others would be blessed.  He made it easy for Saul (an outlaw to the Christians) to be accepted by the Jerusalem Christians.  He supported Paul on the missionary journey.  He gave John Mark a second chance and helped him mature into a servant for Christ.  He encouraged the new Gentile Christians in their new faith.

Will you commit yourself to encourage those you encounter starting today?  I am talking about your children, your wife, your brother or sister in Christ.  Will you do it today?  They may say to you, ‘Thanks for telling me!’

Prayer:  Father, help me to by more encouraging every day.  Help me not to overlook words of encouragement that need to be spoken.    

Terry Brown
Abilene, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment