Tuesday, April 30, 2013

MEDITATION - No Fear!


How would you define meditation?  Some of you may have heard this definition:  “Prayer is talking to God; meditation is listening for His reply.”  Prayer has its special place in scripture, but so does meditation.  

I found that in the Old Testament [hagah] means, “to meditate, growl, utter, speak.”  I’m not a Hebrew scholar and cannot do justice to this beautiful concept.  However, I found what I think is a valid relationship between meditation and courage, and who doesn’t

need a healthy dose of courage on a regular basis?
When God chose Joshua to lead the children of Israel across the Jordan River, He told him to meditate [hagah] on the Book of the Law day and night (Joshua 1:8).  Not only so Joshua would know what God wanted him to do, but, (verse 9) so he would be strong and courageous, not terrified or discouraged because, “God will be with you wherever you go.”

Isaiah 31:4 describes God as a protective Lion “growling” [hagah] over its prey, unafraid and undisturbed by shepherds threatening to take it from Him.  Isaiah (38:14) says, “I cried like a swift or thrush, I moaned [hagah] like a mourning dove.  My eyes grew weak as I looked to the heavens.  I am troubled; O Lord, come to my aid!”  Meditation reminds us of where our Strength lies.

See what I mean?  Taking time to meditate – ponder, muse, listen, open ourselves to what the Spirit of God wants to tell us – helps us remember why we have no reason to be afraid of anything in this life.  When we meditate we quiet those fears that haunt and taunt us.  We give them over to God, in submission to Him, and rejoice in knowing where our Hope and Courage lie.  

Father God, we give our fears to you as we meditate on your word day and night.

Sandra Milholland
Abilene, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment