Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Why Wait?


When Jesus heard his friend, Lazarus, was sick, He stayed where He was for two more days. This is a hard story to understand. The Bible says plainly, that Jesus loved Lazarus and his sisters, Mary and Martha. Yet, He waits. By the time they finally get to Bethany, Lazarus has been buried for four days. He comforts Mary and Martha and weeps at his tomb.

But some said, “Could not He who opened the eyes of a blind man, have kept this man from dying?” The Bible clearly teaches that God is sovereign. That all authority in heaven and on earth belong to Jesus. And yet, He lets Lazarus suffer and die and his sisters grieve for days.

Why doesn’t He spare them the pain? This is not the only time these questions come to mind. Why did Job suffer and why was James killed right at the start? Why did Paul have to have a thorn in his flesh? And why is my life harder that it has to be? Was Satan right when he accused Job of serving God for the blessings? 

Jesus said the whole drama at the cemetery in Bethany was “so that the Son of God may be glorified.” Faith is a hard thing, but faith without testing is not faith at all. Faith is what we have to give to God.

Martha, standing near the tomb of her dead brother, says, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.” And “I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God.” Faith is hard but we can have it.

When we win and praise Him, that’s good. But when we limp up with a battered life and bruised lips saying “I believe You are the Christ”, well, that’s when He is glorified.

Dear God, I praise you for your great power. You spoke and the universe became. You will speak again and time will end. You are sovereign. I do not understand your ways, but I want to. I am hurting and I cry out for relief, but I trust you. I have nowhere to go but to you. Thank you for hearing my prayer. Please help me through this life and someday take me home. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen. 

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment