Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Remember


This week, my brothers and I got together; the four Shero boys in one place. This doesn’t happen often so it was an event. We ate, we laughed, we prayed; we told stories and remembered. We talked about our boyhood, our relatives and our father and mother. It was great! One thing I noticed was how different some of the memories were. I mean, we were all there. We saw the event unfold right in front of us. We are reasonably honest, so why two to four versions of the story?

Here is what I think. We forget. Then we fill in the story and when we tell it again, we have a new story. Eventually, the ‘new’ details are part of our memory.
  
I think God knew this about us, so He gave us the Lord’s Supper ‘lest we forget’. There are some things we must never forget. So He gave us this meal and instructions concerning it. This reinforces the big truths so we won’t forget.

When we eat the Lord’s Supper, we are to examine ourselves. This is to remind us of how badly we need a Savior. We are also to remember His death. This reminds us of the great price God and His Son paid for our salvation. This means our sins are serious. It also means God is serious about saving us and that He REALLY loves us. So each week, we go over the main points of the Gospel story so we will have it right and not forget.

I think my brothers and I need to get together more often.

Dear Father, Thank you for being You. Thank you for loving me even though I am sinful. Thank you for giving your Son to save me. Thank you for giving me the Lord’s Supper so I won’t forget. Thank you that my brothers and sisters meet on Sunday to remember together. Help me and please forgive me. Until He returns, I pray in the name of Your Son, Jesus.   Amen

Paul Shero
San Angelo, Texas

1 comment: