Friday, December 14, 2012

Are You Ready for Christmas


There is a lot to get done with Christmas being 12 days away.   I am busy checking off my list of things to do, putting up the tree, the decorations, the gifts and the grocery shopping list. As I think about everything I am preparing to do it made me think about everything Mary and Joseph had on their plate with the arrival of Jesus over 2000 years ago. As I reflected on Luke 2 and the birth of Jesus it made me realize part of my preparation for Christmas is responding to the truth of who Christ is. Jesus fulfilled God’s promise of a Messiah. When we put our faith in the promise we get to look forward to His second return.  He will return to redeem those whom he has saved.  

There are similarities between how the people prepared for Jesus birth and how we prepare for his second coming. 

Obedience: Luke 2:21-24
            Mary and Joseph named their son Jesus as the angel Gabriel commanded them.
            They traveled out of town to have Jesus circumcised on the 8th day according to Jewish law.
            They brought a sacrifice to the temple for Mary’s purification as commanded.
            They presented Jesus at the temple as their firstborn to dedicate him to the Lord as 
              commanded in Leviticus 12:1-7.

Are we obedient to God’s instruction?  Are we willing to obey when it is going to cost us something or we may be inconvenienced? 

Read the word and live by the Spirit: Luke 2:25-32 gives us an example with Simeon.
            Simeon was watchful, righteous and devout.
            He knew the prophecies about the Messiah and he was waiting for Him.
            He was in tune with the Holy Spirit and he recognized the Messiah.
            He was at the temple watchful when Mary and Joseph arrived

In Luke 2:26 the bible says it was revealed to Simeon that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ. Simeon made a choice to listen to the Spirit and he chose to believe.  In verse 27  it says the Spirit led him to go to the temple.  It was no coincidence that he was there when Mary and Joseph arrived.  He was accustomed to listening to the Spirit’s prompting and obeying. 

Are we in the word, so we will recognize the signs of the second coming of Christ? Are we listening and obeying the Spirits prompting? 

Dear Father, As each day passes, the return of my Savior is nearer.  I  long to see his face.  As I wait, help me recognize your Spirit as you guide me each day. Also give me the strength to obey your commands.  Help me to recognize the deceiver as he shoots excuses my way not to do things because they may take me out of my way or cost me something. I want to be about your will.   In the name of Jesus, my Savior, Amen.

Terry Smith
Stephenville, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment