Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Letter from Prison

Another letter came from my friend in prison in East Texas last week. We corresponded regularly during the long period he was incarcerated locally awaiting trial, and then continued to do so after he was sentenced to life in prison in the spring of 2010.

I came to know him when our associate minister befriended him and brought him to our Tuesday morning men’s prayer breakfast. He was in the process of getting into the Word and giving his life to Christ. As he surrendered his life to the Savior, his conscience was quickened and motivated him to confess that fourteen years before, he had killed his wife. He then surrendered to the authorities, pled guilty, and awaited punishment for his crime.

The ugliness of his crime was the centerpiece of his trial, and he prepared himself to accept whatever verdict was handed down. Through it all, it troubled me that there seemed to be an absolutely harsh rejection of any consideration that this was not the same man who had done the heinous crime. Yes, he needed to be punished, he expected to be punished, but it seemed to me so very cruel not to mention that the reason he had come forward and confessed his wrong was his rejection of his lifestyle of the past.

True to his newfound commitment to Christ, he took the verdict without a whimper. That commitment has remained strong as he has adjusted to prison life. He is resigned to be a witness for the Savior in the harsh environment.

His letters are liberally laced with Scripture. He loves to write of his freedom in Christ. He fusses at himself when he is inclined to whine, seeks prayer and encouragement when the going gets tough. Here is an excerpt from this last letter detailing his latest "challenge" (as he put it).

"Here is a picture of my current situation here in prison. I have a new ‘celly’ (roomy). We live two men in a cell. All types of men live and work here. My room is a Christian room, a Christian environment. Christ lives in me and the Holy Spirit is welcome in this place. I have not as yet led a man to Christ, but I am a field worker. Seeds are planted, watered, weeded, prayed over. The #1 fruit, love, is lived out daily (but not perfectly). The man I now have as a ‘celly’ is challenging the limits of my heart. He is here for raping/murdering an old woman. . . He has no remorse. He has no social skills, manners, respect for persons, space or property. He wants his ‘rights’ and all else be damned. He is dirty, does not clean or help clean, etc. He is a passive bully.

"Yet I continue to show him respect, treat him in a way I’m sure he is not used to, with patience and long-suffering. Now, I’m not patting myself on the back. This is spiritual fruit budding in my life and that is to God’s glory and honor. I am being what Christ is doing in me, for me through me. He is (has) given me the honor of seeing through His eyes, hearing with His ears, feeling with His heart; still I’m tired. I’m not sleeping much. I’m constantly hungry. It’s hard to rest (relax) in my cell because he never leaves, never shares the cell. I’m not complaining, but . . . "

He went on to appeal for communication with me and others for words of encouragement.

Here is a fellow who is incarcerated, yet his redemption in Christ brings freedom and joy in serving the Lord where he is. He is very much alive with faith, hope, and love. He has been made "free indeed" by Christ Jesus (John 8:36).

He can teach us much. His letter continues: "For so many years I did not sow good seed in good soil. Now, these past years I can say I have. The Lord is faithful to His Word, His promises. He is not an automatic dispenser—giving on command of the proper buttons being pushed. No, He is God Almighty, Sovereign in all things and ways. He is over every molecule in existence. He created them. He created us. He is the loving Father that most people never knew. They find it hard to trust Him to be that perfect loving Father, yet He is and knows how to reach His children."

He included this scripture: "By the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace to me was not without effect" 1 Cor. 15:10.

"I was in prison and you came to Me." – Matt. 25:36

Joe Baisden
Belton, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment