Friday, May 4, 2012

Before the Sun Goes Down

A friend once told me “the reason God doesn’t let us live to be 300 is that for the last 240 years, we would just be mad.”         

It does seem like it’s a lot easier to get angry than to get over it. I kid myself by saying that what I feel is ‘righteous indignation’. But I have noticed that the anger itself is hurting me as much or more than the original affront. How can I learn to be angry for the right reason? To the right degree; for the right time? Paul’s instruction in Ephesians 4:26 helps. “Be angry, but do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger,…”         

Be angry, but do not sin. How can I do that? Somehow I must confront the sin without becoming sin myself. One clue Paul gives us is to not spend too much time with anger. It is so easy to keep it,; to bring it up again and again. Anger can become the defining characteristic of who I am.       

So, Paul says we must deal with the confrontation then put it down and leave it. This calls for faith. We must learn to trust God that He will do right. Paul also warns us that the devil uses anger as an entry point into our lives. He uses this as an opportunity to introduce other sins…violence, lying, malice, hatred and others.          

Anger is so dangerous to handle.  We must not spend too much time with it.   

Dear Father, I stand in wonder with you. You know everything; even my hidden sins, yet You are kind. I sin against You and You forgive. I want to be more like You. But I see others sins so plainly. I don’t want to forget or forgive. I want mercy and grace from You. I want justice and judgment for them. I am a mess. Help me O Lord! Please create in me a new heart. One that is not so cold and judgmental. Please don’t give up on me. You promised me the peace that passes understanding. Please replace my anger with Your peace. Please help me to forgive those who trespass against me. Help me to say, Father, forgive them.   In the name of Jesus, I pray.     Amen

Paul Shero
San Angelo, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment