Tuesday, April 24, 2012

“Momma, WE NEEEED YOU!”

 Ephesians 3:16-18
I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ,

Dressed in her Sunday best, Esther sits stooped by her 91 years.  With her hands folded upon her lap, eyes closed forever by degenerative darkness, and mouth drawn, she still joyfully sings the words to every hymn. Homesteading the rugged last frontier without running water or electricity she overcame the many challenges that presented themselves in the raising of seven children. Like the far reaching roots of the trees that dot the Haakenson homestead, Esther sought to daily root her children in Christ’s love.  One of Esther’s greatest legacies lovingly sits beside her.  Faithful in service to her mother and even more to her Lord, Mary has taught countless boys and girls about Jesus.  Mary has also reached out to thousands whose lives have been touched by Down syndrome through her book about growing up with her remarkable brother*.  Those children and families have been forever changed by their contact with Mary and like a pebble dropped into a pond, we’ll never know the full effect of her influence until heaven.  

The arrival of spring brings a treasure trove of “presents” from my boys.  Evidence of their love and admiration proudly line my kitchen window sill.  This winter brought a record breaking 16 feet of snow to Anchor Point, and thus our pre-spring season of “Break-up” has been a little slower than normal.  Running out of easily retrieved pine cones, the boys turned to rescuing sticks from their climbing tree.  As I was presented with a bouquet of sticks I noticed they were covered in buds.  I placed them in a jar, put it on the sill and was rewarded with lovely smelling, bright green leaves.  The entire family has enjoyed watching and discussing the sprouting twigs.  After a few days I noticed the sticks were putting out roots.  I have been amazed at how quickly these young sprouts send out hungry shoots looking to root.  

Parenting, like tending a garden, takes time, patience and constant attention.  More importantly, it takes a focus on the end result: the fruit of the harvest.  It is our desire for the fruit of harvest that motivates us to weed, water, tend, prune, and fertilize.  It is a desire for healthy fruit that helps us do the work that is sometimes unpleasant.  There are times when I want a vacation. Instead of finding joy in hearing, “Mommaaaa, we nnneeed you!!!!!”  I can become resentful and tired.  The Deceiver whispers lies of discontentment regarding my most important role, and before long I can get busy and easily frustrated with the needs of my “trees”.  I may even temporarily neglect them, forgetting to water at the right time, or letting them get root bound in their pots…all leading to potential disease and stunted growth.  

Thank goodness, I work for the Master Gardner.  He is always just a prayer away, there to help. He knows our every need and our every weakness.   I go to him when I don’t know what to do or feel I have reached the end of my rope.  He helps me weed out bad behavior, feed good character, and tend to the needs of everyday life. 

It also doesn’t hurt to fertilize often with the nutrients found in his word.
Isaiah 61:11
For as the soil makes the sprout come up and a garden causes seeds to grow, so the Sovereign LORD will make righteousness and praise spring up before all nations.

Jeremiah 17:8
They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.”

Prayer:  Dear Lord, help me to root my children in the soil of your love.  May they ever know and live in the width, depth, and the height of your amazing love.  Amen.

Dana Jaworski
Anchor Point
, AK
*I highly recommend Mary Haakenson Perry’s book, entitled Onward Crispy Shoulders to anyone that has been touched by Down syndrome.  You may order her book at http://www.fireweedtales.com/

1 comment:

  1. Dana I am always touched by your writings and this one is no different. Your influence as a mother should never be underestimated. I know your heart is in the right place and your children must adore you!

    ReplyDelete